Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound Fax Issues - SIP Fax Machine - PSTN - PRI - MGCP - CUCM - RICOHFAX

wharris623
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Looking at connecting our Ricoh Fax's via SIP to CUCM so we can get rid of our POTS lines.  We are able to build the 3rd party sip endpoint in the CUCM and the RICOHFAX can receive faxes but the RICOHFAX is unable to send faxes.  It will initiate the call but then other RicohFax's are unable to sync so it'll send the fax. 

Any ideas? 

Does anyone have a working config they wouldn't mind posting?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

27 Replies 27

We need to look at debugs now. Can you take these debugs for a test fax call?
debug fax relay t38 all
debug mgcp packet
debug voip vtsp session
debug voip vtsp default
debug isdn q931

I am working on this exact same configuration.  I was wondering if you've had any success?  Inbound from the PSTN works; the Ricoh SIP Fax does accept the call and it goes through.  However on an outbound call it would appear that the media stream is never initiated between the Ricoh SIP Fax and MGCP Gateway.  I've attached a screen cap from Wireshark taken at the Ricoh machine. The 172.24.11.244 is the Ricoh and 172.24.4.10 is Call Manager.

FailedCall-RicohSIPtoCUCMtoMGCPGateway.PNG

We haven't had any luck with it as of yet.  Our attention got pulled to some more pressing projects.  

Can you pull the debug logs they were asking for?

Thanks,

Wes

Once I get the machine to re-register to Call Manager again I will test and gather the debugs.  Something I changed as a test broke the registration and I can not get it to come back yet.  I will post the debugs as soon as I can.

Attached are the logs.  

The failing call is:

Oct  9 18:41:15.110: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x1ECF

Please let me know if these lend any insight into why the outbound is failing.

Thank you,

Eric

I'm not seeing any debugs of the fax relay type in the log. Was the debug fax relay t38 all enabled? These debugs help determine what fax tones were sent and received by the DSPs on the card.
I'm seeing the fax tone coming from the Telco side being detected, and this is passed to the CUCM.

Oct 9 18:41:32.390: MGCP Packet sent to 172.24.4.10:2427--->
NTFY 473253980 S0/SU0/DS1-0/22@GM-G1-TC00.net.ketthealth.com MGCP 0.1
N: ca@172.24.4.10:2427
X: 16
O: FXR/t38(start)
<---

After this, however, I'm not seeing the CUCM send an MDCX to modify the connection to a T38 call between the MGCP gateway and itself. Around 40 seconds later, we disconnect the call, probably due to a timeout.

Oct 9 18:42:12.606: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> DISCONNECT pd = 8 callref = 0x1ECF
Cause i = 0x8090 - Normal call clearing

Perhaps the T38 negotiation is failing at the other end between CUCM and the fax machine? Do we have logs from the other side too?

I re-ran the debugs and did a wireshark capture at the Ricoh machine itself. The MGCP call ID is listed below.

Oct 10 13:25:01.942: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x2091  

Thank you,

Eric

Eric, the Ricoh fax is rejecting the switch to T38 fax from the CUCM. Please check why this is happening.

2008 146.414303000 172.24.4.10 172.24.11.244 SIP/SDP 1210 Request: INVITE sip:23451@172.24.11.244;user=phone, in-dialog |

2056 146.830959000 172.24.11.244 172.24.4.10 SIP 424 Status: 406 Not Acceptable | <---

Hey Eric,

Did you get to circle back to this?

Wes

Wes,

I have not had as much time as I'd like to dedicate to this as I've been pulled off to other projects.  Next week I plan to spend some time working more on this. I do have a request in to Ricoh (though they're not very responsive) and will likely open an official TAC case with Cisco next week as well.  

I will post my findings and progress.

Eric

We had some time to circle back to this recently and have discovered the following. Ricoh provides little to no documentation or support on their SIP stack (even to their own USA division).  We did find out with Ricoh-USA engineers that SIP to Cisco CUCM is possible; but requires specifically written firmware on the machine;  so the fact that the machine has SIP simply isn't enough.  Ricoh has written specific SIP firmware for each SIP PBX / vendor / version that they will support.  Also to complicate things more, this is different per each model of machine and only supported on their tested version of CUCM (which was last tested on 10.5.2).  Ricoh does not actively seek out this integration but it gets developed by paid customer engagements / requirements. It seems as if they really are not embracing this and the direction it could go.  

That all being said, we are in the process of getting a couple of our machines updated with the appropriate 'approved' firmware and I am going to do a side by side test with machines that have the out of the box firmware.  My intention is to do a few Wirehsark captures and see if we can tell what the expected differences are and if they can potentially be corrected in SIP Normalization scripts on CUCM rather than going the firmware route.

I will update again as our testing progresses.

Thanks for the update! This is useful information and could help with other Ricoh fax cases.

David Cebula
Level 1
Level 1

What IP-FAX settings did you use on your Ricoh's and what SIP device and profile settings did you use?  I can get my Ricoh's to register with CUCM, but can't get them to send or receive faxes at all, internally or not.

I know you ultimately did not have success, but I just want to see if I get them to send/receive at all. Thanks.