cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Overlapping Dial plan in CME - Translation Rules.

Anil Sharma
Level 3
Level 3

hi Team,

I am currently stuck with overlapping rules in a translation-rule, below are 3 rules which I have configured.

In CME, I have configured translation profile under ephone-dn-template, which is then assigned to ephone-dn's. 

So as soon as any DN dials a number, router matches these rules digit by digit, convert the number & then the POTS dial-peer is matched.

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /^9\(105...$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown
 rule 2 /^9\(105..$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown
 rule 3 /^9\(105.$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown

As I have above overlapping numbers as soon as I dial 91051   its not allowing me to dial rest of the digits...

Inter digit timer under telephony-service is also  5 sec ... 

I also tried to use below rule however then its just matching 9105 & forwarding the call ... !!!

rule 1   /^9105\(.*\)/ /\1/ type any unknown

how can I change this behaviour of router ? 

I thought this is how router matches the destination pattern in  dial-peers (as soon as match is found it routes).  Normally router should wait in this case ?

Has anyone experienced it before .. kindly advise how to fix it ..

8 Replies 8

Brandon Pierce
Level 4
Level 4

When you use the $ symbol, you are telling it to stop at that point and go no further and to only match once it ends on the number specified.  Honestly, this is a terrible dial plan and the best way to fix it is to rework the plan to not be overlapping in this manner.  What is forcing you to do this?

hi Brandon,

Thanks for your response, I also thought so and tried to remove $ however still behavior was same.

I have a PSTN number 91052 & another number 910521 so both should work.
I can configure a POTS with destination pattern 9105T however I want to use translation rules matching first.  Do you think its possible to achieve ?

On below I read that

"In CME numbered dialed goes by first dialed not longest dialed. This means that if you have ephone-dn's that is 2 digits in a range from 50 - 59, then you cannot have a dial-peer that will dial out with a 5.  this is a limitation in CME, as the CME is very simular to the PBX dial-plan."

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11075991/cme-dial-plan-conflict-problem

Looks like mine are matching correctly when I do it.  You are trying to remove the 9 prior to pushing it out a DP am I right?  What version of IOS are you on?  I included a screenshot of me doing your config from my home lab.

Thanks again Brandon.

Yes that's right I want to strip digits before sending them to Dial Peer.

As you know there are 2 ways of dialing

(1)  lift the handset or  press speaker and dial .. in this case digits will be matched one by one. (This is what I am doing & is not working )

(2) dial all the digits and then press speaker or press dial. in this case digits will go enbloc so it will match correct rules.

So, when you are testing a translation rule its like en bloc and will match correct translations.

However first way of dialing should also work ?

Regards.

Anil Sharma.

Well I guess you could hair pin the call with translation patterns but honestly, I'd just go the DP route and match from there.  What you are trying to do is frowned upon to begin with by dial plans since it overlaps.  Not sure what else to tell you on this one.

Hi Anil,

I would select the below configuration choice and assume that you need to route all calls through the same pots interface;

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /^9\(105...$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown
        rule 2 /^9\(105..$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown
        rule 3 /^9\(105.$\)/ /\1/ type any unknown

voice translation-profile xyz

translate called 1

dial-peer voice 9105 pots

destination-patter 9105T

translation-profile xyz

Anyway which city dial plan you are trying to accomplish?

Thanks

Vivek

hi Vivek,

Yes, I agree with this . I think I did try this one as well.

(NOT sure 100% on this if I tried it or not but I think I did)

Finally I configured Pots dial-peers something like 91T and called translation-profile under that.

so that 9 is stripped and rest is sent out ...

So, basically I couldn't achieve my initial design of translating the digits first and then matching the dial peer. .. what I did was the opposite.

Regards,

Anil Sharma.

Hi Anil,

AFAIK since translation profile is associated with dial-peer, dial-peer needs to be selected prior to applying translation rules.

Thanks

Vivek