Views
Helpful
Replies

Overlapping Patterns - Internal Extensions/Outbound

raymond00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, All!

I've recently had many end users ask whether it would be possible to dial 10-digits for outbound calls. The environment currently requires a 9 for outside dialtone. I've thought about how to accomplish this, but my concern is that by creating a pattern such as "[2-8]XXXXXXXXX" any extensions not starting with 1 will be caught by this pattern. I’ve thought of two ways to combat the overlapping, modify the inter-digit timeout parameter, or hit # when finished dialing an extension. Both of those don’t quite satisfy me though as they affect the end-user.

Ultimately I'd like a solution that is invisible to the end-user, but so far I can't think of any that won't require some user retraining. Any thoughts and/or ideas are appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-Raymond

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your listed options are how you'd make it work, though I would advise strongly against it.  Overlapping dial plan is not a good idea in my opinion and relying on inter-digit timeout leads to bad user experience.

With that said if customer insists after understanding the implications then your solution will work.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your listed options are how you'd make it work, though I would advise strongly against it.  Overlapping dial plan is not a good idea in my opinion and relying on inter-digit timeout leads to bad user experience.

With that said if customer insists after understanding the implications then your solution will work.

HTH,

Chris

Agreed completely. Thanks so much for your help.

My pleasure, please mark the question as answered if you have not further questions on this topic.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: