cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pb to install CUC 8.02 on ESXi (on a PC DELL optiplex 755)

rahaman.abdoul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm really surprised to not be able install Unity connection 8.02 on ESXi 4.0 update 1. I have the message : "product not supported on current hardware : Cisco Unity connection". So it's possible to install CUCM 8.02 and Business Edition version on VMware ESXi 4.0 update 1.

Is it an hardware problem with Host PC : a DELL Optiplex?

What I have to do to be able to install CUC on my ESXi?

Thanks for answers :-)

Rahaman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matthew Kaufman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may be able to install it, but it would not be supported.  We (Cisco) only currently support CUCM 8.0 on VMWare on specific Cisco UCS platforms.  All other 3rd party equipment is not supported.

I cannot speak to the specifics for Unity, however I would recommend engaging your Cisco SE for further information if you're interested in running Cisco UC applications in virtualization.

--Matt

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Matthew Kaufman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may be able to install it, but it would not be supported.  We (Cisco) only currently support CUCM 8.0 on VMWare on specific Cisco UCS platforms.  All other 3rd party equipment is not supported.

I cannot speak to the specifics for Unity, however I would recommend engaging your Cisco SE for further information if you're interested in running Cisco UC applications in virtualization.

--Matt

Hi Matt,

first of all, thank you for your answer ;-)

I'm ok on the fact that I will not be supported. The problem I have actually is I cannot continue to install : I have only 2 choices. I can only install CUCM or CUCM business ed. So the question is how to get the option to install Unity connection, since I have the message : products not supported on current hardware".

I have attached a screen copy to show you what is exactly the problem.

Rahaman

If you're installing this for a lab, I would encourage you to look at the disk size requirements for Cisco Unity Connection and modify your VM accordingly.

Again, Cisco will not support this install.

Hi,

We are a Cisco training center (Global Knowledge) so according to Cisco rules, we can install product on VMware on the hardware we want, but we know that we will not be supported of course :-)

I try to put a Disk space of 200 Go, since 160 Gb is not ok. I have exactly the same error message...

I use this document from Cisco to see how to install on VM  :

"Requirements for Installing Cisco Unity Connection on a Virtual Machine"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/requirements/8xcucsysreqs.html

I'm sure I missed something in my virtual machine Conf...

For CUCM 8.02, it's perfect with 2Gb RAM and 80Gb Hard disk

Thanks

Rahaman

I just sent you a private message.

Hi Matthew,

I've got the same problem...

I work for CLP in Warsaw, Poland... CS HECTOR... I need to prepare lab equipment for new labs to deliver new version (v.8) of new voice courses... ICOMM, CAPPS, CIPT, CVOICE, TVOICE... In ICOMM and CAPPS CUCv8 is needed in labs, but... but I cannot install CUC using VMWare ESXi 4.0... We bought NFR Kit... DVD disc includes CUCM, CUCMBE and CUC 8.0(2c)... I can install only CUCM and CUCMBE.. CUC like in previous posts in this topic is not allowed... I played with different settings of RAM, HDD... I changed RHE system from 3 to 4 like I saw in .ova file downloaded from CCO... Still nothing... What to do? Please help... We would like to start to teach new courses asap... I think, for Cisco it is important as well..

Regards,

Jacek

Hi Jacek,

I found the solution in cisco web site : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/supported_platforms/8xcucspl.html#wp704325

Table 1 Specifications for Virtual Platform Overlays for Currently Shipping Connection 8.x Servers

Virtual Platform Overlay for up to 500 Users
Virtual Platform Overlay for up to 5000 Users
Virtual Platform Overlay 2 for up to 10,000 Users
Virtual Platform Overlay for up to 20,000 User
Platform / part number

See:

Cisco UCS-B200M1-VCS1/N20-B6620-1

Cisco UCS-C210M1-VCD1/R210-2121605

Cisco UCS-C210M1-VCD2/R210-2121605

Cisco R210-2121605 (Fiber-Channel SAN Compatible)

Minimum Connection Version

8.0(3)

8.0(2)

8.0(2)

8.0(3)

vCPU (Number of Virtual Processors)

vRAM (Amount of Virtual RAM)

2 GB

4 GB

4 GB

8 GB

vDisk (Size of Virtual Hard Disks)

1 x 160GB, file system aligned at 64KB blocks

1 x 200 GB, file system aligned at 64KB blocks

2 x 146 GB, file system aligned at 64KB blocks

2  300 GB, file system aligned at 64KB blocks

So you need to install a VM with 2 proc, 4Gb and 200Gb hqrd disk. You will have like this the three options to install CUCM, CUCM BE and CUC.

I hope you a nice installation and please rate if  it's helpful ;-)

Rahaman

PS: Matt, I don't receive your private message

Thank you for answer...

Yes... I found this solution earlier, but... comparing to version 7 is not the same, and I think not exactly solve problem.. my problem...

I've got four servers with VMWare ESXi, one server per pod... each with one quad-core processor and 8 GB of RAM... unfortunately cannot add more RAM, or one more processor....   I'm affraid of resources if I would like to run four images per server (CUCM, CUC, CUP and MS-AD) in ICOMM or CAPSS courses.. CUC needs in this solution two processors and 4 GB RAM... CUCM next processor and 2 GB RAM... and still I need resources for two more virtual machines... I'll check it leater.. maybe it can works... let you know...

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips.

I was attempting to install CUC 8.0.2.40000-1 on VMWare (Virtual Machine Version: 7).

It wouldn't play the game, giving the whole "products not supported on current hardware: cisco unity connection" - until I increased the HDD space from the Cisco template configured amount of 160GB up to 200GB.

Once I set it to 200GB... it worked a treat.

I also increased the processors from 1 to 2 (the template set it to 1) - but I did that first and it made no difference...it was only after changing HDD space that it worked.

Worked for me (setup the VM using vSphere Client v4.1.0 Build 258902 and VMware vCenter Server Version 4.1.0 Build 258902):

Memory: 4096 MB

CPUs: 2

Video card: Video card

VMCI device: Restricted

SCSI controller 0: LSI LogicParrallel

Hard disk 1: Virtual Disk THICK provisioned with 200GB

Guest operating system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (32-bit).

Once I set it to this, I was able to boot from the CUCM ISO and the option to choose CUC was available.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: