cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical vs Virtual CallManager

Chris Michael
Level 1
Level 1

This is more from an managerial view. We have one IPCC and 1 CallManager. We are looking to add additional CallManger (for the obvious reasons). Currently these are physical. With a small environment such as this, is it best to remain physical or go virtual. Looking for Pros/Cons. Thanks for time and input.                   

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Definitely go virtual as that is Cisco's focus and direction, there is not much future for physical bare metal server and it would not be surprising for all of them not to be supported on future versions.

Not only will you get longer life span, but many benefits of virtulization, i.e. less power consumption, less cooling, server consolidation, etc.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

I agree with my friend Chris here (+5 "C-Man!")

Another thing to look at that might sway management to go this route

is the fact that many hardware based "MCS" servers have been EoL'd so

you could address this at the same time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/prod_eol_notices_list.html

Cheers!

Rob

"Spend your life waiting,
for a moment that just don't come,
Well, don't waste your time waiting" 

-Springsteen

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris,

I agree 100% with Rob and Chris..The future is Virtualization and I wont be suprised if future versions are not supported on bare metal also. A sneek peek into this is the new ELM (license manager) for CUCM 9.0 which can only run on virtualized platform even if your CUCM servers run on bare metal servers.

Also coming from CiscoLive here in London, the future of techology is virtualizatiuon. So be prepared becasue "today is so yesterday"

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts