cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help with a very basic question

John Huthmaker
Level 4
Level 4

My company has tasked me with becoming a CCNP Voice so that I can take over the managment and maintenace of our Cisco Voice enviornment.  I just have my CCNA (in fact just got it on Saturday).  They're already starting to get me involved with the voice stuff though prior to me taking voice classes.  Without sounding foolish I was hoping someone could tell me what each of these devices is:

UCCX

Unity

UCMPU

UCMSUB

My understanding is that UCCX essentially keeps all the contact info.  Unity holds the voicemail.  The second two provide routing info.  However, I dont know where "Call Manager" lives.  Can someone give me the 60 second run down?

Thanks,

John

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

UCCX - Contact Center application, call rouiting for agents, ACD

Unity - Voicemail

UCMPU - CallManager Publisher IP-PBX, master CallManager database

UCMSUB - CallManager Subscriber IP-PBX (redundant server, primary call processor)

CallManager is central point and all others integrate to it.

Check out CUCM SRND for more details.

HTH,

Chris

Excellent, thank you.  So the third and fourth boxes make up Call Manager.  The first two add on to its capabilities.  Does that sound accurate?

Correct.

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

UCCX is a Contact Center application, usually used in call centers four agents to take customers calls and outbound campaigns.

Unity is a VM application server and you can use either Unity enterprise or Unity Connection.

UCMPUB and UCMSUB: This means that there is a 2 node CUCM/Callmanager cluster in your company. A cluster always has a single CUCM Publisher which is the one that handles the Database (where all the phones, gateways, DNs, Route Patterns, Trunks, etc are) and this PUB pushes DB info to the SUBs (subscribers). Usually the SUBs are the call processing servers (handle calls) and the PUB can be used as TFTP (to push MoH, firmware, ringtones, etc to the phones), but it can also be a call processing agent (that depends on the CCM Group configuration)

I will recommend you to go through the application datasheets firts and then the Admin Guides and SRNDs/design guides for more deep information.

If you have any question feel free to ask.

Regards,

Tere.

If you find this post helpful, please rate! :

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

John Huthmaker
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you both for your help.  This gives me good information to start with.

I start my voice training next month so I hope I can answer that question on my own afterwards

If they expect you to manage and configure UCCX then they're missing something really important, which is that the CCNP Voice does not cover UCCX. You would need separate training if what they got for you is just based on the CCNP Voice exams.

My 2 cents

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Do you know which class or classes I would need to learn UCCX?  Do you know of a reputable company offering that training?  Ideally I'd like to stay near where I live (souther california), but travelling isnt out of the realm of the possability.

Hi John,

I would strongly recommend Global Knowledge or Firefly. You can look for learning partners here:

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

I will also recommend that if your company is a registered Cisco Partner, you can navigate this Partner Central website which has a learning and training section: 

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le27/learning_learning_partner_connection_home.html#4

Regards,

Tere.

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: