cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Polycom IP Soundstaiton 7000 and Cisco CUCM 7.1.5

Jim Schewe
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Polycom Soundstation IP 7000 running version 3.3.1 of it's software that I'm trying to get registered to a Cisco CUCM 7.1.5. We have the users tied in with Active Directory and so I've created an user with the name and password I wanted. Since we have password restrictions, I was not able to make the password equal to the 5 digit PIN in the End User settings in CUCM.

In the Polycom the settings for the servers and proxy server are correct and set to UDP Only. Under the line   authentication I put in the user name and at first tried the Active Directory password and then the PIN. None work.

The system sees the Polycom but rejects the registration. I'm assuming that there is no easy way to see why it was rejected. Anyone else have aa similar issue?

THanks

Jim

6 Replies 6

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

I can't relate to 7.1, but can say I was able to register these to 8.6.  I also ran into the auth issues though.  One thing that will make your life easier, if you aren't doing it already, is using the web UI for the IP7000.  Simply browse to the IP address of the SIP phone, and log in.  The default credentials are username:Polycom , password:456.

Once your'e in there, verify:

SIP Tab

Outbound proxy = CUCM IP

Outbound proxy port = 5060

Outbound proxy protocol = UDPOnly

Server 1

Address = CUCM IP

Port = 5060

Protocol = UDPOnly

You can fill in server 2 with the other CUCM IP if you're running a cluster.  Server 1 should be subscriber, if so (per Cisco best practices on registration).

Line Tab

Display Name = Whatever you want

Address = CUCM DN you assigned to the phone

Authentication User ID = Case-sensitive user ID you are tying the phone to

Authenticatio password = The Digest password associated with the above user

Label = I set this to match the DN, not sure if it matters

Type = Private

Third party name = DN@, example 2257@172.16.25.100

I set server 1 and server 2 info to match the SIP info, but I set Register to 1.

Notes

• I didn't have to tie the SIP phone to the LDAP user I created for it
  • You can't use the same digest user on more than one SIP phone (at least in our version, when we tried to)
  • This config worked for us on Polycom IP7000's, IP6000's, and IP5000's
  • Setting up the digit maps was an utter pain.  Polycom has a decent default for US, but it has holes, and if users expect to take the phone off-hook, and then dial, the digit maps need to be perfect in order to provide a good user experience.
  • The headache we went through to get this working outweighed the additional costs of Cisco's 7937G (which is a Polycom IP7000 running SCCP), so we're now exclusively deploying 7937G's instead of these.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I struggled for 2 days before your post saying to use Outbound Proxy.  I was putting the cucm server address everywhere but there!

I ran into the same issue. However i am still getting rejected. In configuring the soundstation is the user/password set to blank and on the CUCM set to anonymous?

System version: 10.5.2.10000-5

I had to set up a user on the CUCM.  I called it "sstvoipuser". it is case sensitive.  I assigned that user to the phone

Worked like a charm. Thank you

@Paul McGurn wrote:

I can't relate to 7.1, but can say I was able to register these to 8.6.  I also ran into the auth issues though.  One thing that will make your life easier, if you aren't doing it already, is using the web UI for the IP7000.  Simply browse to the IP address of the SIP phone, and log in.  The default credentials are username:Polycom , password:456.

Once your'e in there, verify:

SIP Tab

Outbound proxy = CUCM IP

Outbound proxy port = 5060

Outbound proxy protocol = UDPOnly

Server 1

Address = CUCM IP

Port = 5060

Protocol = UDPOnly

You can fill in server 2 with the other CUCM IP if you're running a cluster.  Server 1 should be subscriber, if so (per Cisco best practices on registration).

Line Tab

Display Name = Whatever you want

Address = CUCM DN you assigned to the phone

Authentication User ID = Case-sensitive user ID you are tying the phone to

Authenticatio password = The Digest password associated with the above user

Label = I set this to match the DN, not sure if it matters

Type = Private

Third party name = DN@, example 2257@172.16.25.100

I set server 1 and server 2 info to match the SIP info, but I set Register to 1.

Notes

• I didn't have to tie the SIP phone to the LDAP user I created for it
  • You can't use the same digest user on more than one SIP phone (at least in our version, when we tried to)
  • This config worked for us on Polycom IP7000's, IP6000's, and IP5000's
  • Setting up the digit maps was an utter pain.  Polycom has a decent default for US, but it has holes, and if users expect to take the phone off-hook, and then dial, the digit maps need to be perfect in order to provide a good user experience.
  • The headache we went through to get this working outweighed the additional costs of Cisco's 7937G (which is a Polycom IP7000 running SCCP), so we're now exclusively deploying 7937G's instead of these.

This configuration reference just helped me register the same phone, and I couldn't find this information (easily) anywhere on Polycom's site. Kudos and thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: