Views
Helpful
Replies

POTS and SIP dial peer collision

rochdalemis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, team!

I have UC-540 and a setup that does not require users to dial "9" to place outgoing calls. This omission left me unsupported by Cisco, hence I ask you for help.

I have 8 POTS ports and 8 corresponding dial peers with pattern set as  "[2-9]......$", so that if users dial a 7-digit number, a local call is placed. works fine.

I also have a SIP trunk to HQ CM system with a dial pattern set as "35..$", so that when people dial 35xx, the call goes to HQ. works fine.

The problem occurs when a number such as 350-1234 is dialed. It does not go outside, instead it is forwarded through SIP trunk to HQ, to ext. 3501

"debug voice dialpeer all" along with "csim start" show that the proper dial peers are chosen;

Before, when I didn't have "$" at the "35.." dial peer, it was also matched, which, I thought, was the problem. But now, when I see that only correct dial peers matched but the call still does not go out, I am out of ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Greg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can only lower priority on the 7 digits DP, so it doesn't pre-empt the 10 digits one.

You can also force use of only 10 and 11 digits, the strip the loca area code.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have an overlapping dialplan, that is causing your problem. Overalapping in telephony is a very, very bad idea.

You should set a prefix of 0 or 1, for either local calls or SIP calls.

Otherwise you will always be based on interdigit timeout, pressing # at end of number, but these are only kludges, and you always will have trouble.

Paolo, I agree, the simpler it is, the better. However, even if I remove SIP trunk dial peers, my configuration would still have overlappings since the phone company that provides POTS expects me to dial 1+areacode+number for long distance calls, areacode+number for regional calls, and just the number for local calls. As you can imagine, there should be overlapping dial peers to support this.

So, I really need this to be resolved through patterns.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Are you in the US? There should be  no overlapping in the US.

Paolo,

AT&T in Kansas City.  They at least expect me to omit "1" on local and regional calls. Otherwise users hear an error message recording. In NYC, I agree, you can get away with full 11-digit entry.

I am thinking about playing with dial-peer priorities and trunk groups.

What do you think?

Greg

You can only lower priority on the 7 digits DP, so it doesn't pre-empt the 10 digits one.

You can also force use of only 10 and 11 digits, the strip the loca area code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: