Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefix Area Code By Site For Outbound Calls

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

Hello everyone,

Is it possible in CUCM 8.5(1)SU1 to have an IP phone dial a 7 digit number and have the system automatically prefix the area code for the location where the IP Phone is calling from to the 7 digit number?  The only PSTN access is through a centralized SIP trunk at the Head Quarters location.

One thought I had is to create the following:

1. A <SiteName>Local Partition for each location
  2. A <SiteName>CSS Calling Search Space for each location which contains the <SiteName>Local Partition
  3. Assign all the IP Phones to their respective location's Calling Search Space
  4. Create a Route Pattern of 9.[2-9]XXXXXX for each location, (9 is the outside access digit) with the following settings
    1. Discard Digits PreDot
    2. Prefix Digits (Outgoing Calls) <LocalAreaCodeForThisSite>. 
    3. <SiteName>Local Partition
    4. Route List which points SIP Trunk

For example,

Site A IP Phone calls 91112222 (9 is the outside access code) and the area code for Site A is 444 so the call will be sent to the PSTN as 4441112222 (because it strips the 9 and prefixes the area code of 444 to the original called number)

Site B IP Phone calls 91112222 (9 is the outside access code) and the area code for Site B is 555 so the call will be sent to the PSTN as 5551112222.

I believe my above strategy will work but I'm thinking there is an easier way to accomplish my goal, I just don't know what it is. Transformation Patterns maybe?  It would be good if I didn't have to create a Partition, Calling Search Space and 7 digit Route Pattern for each site since there is just a centralized SIP Trunk.

Anyone have any ideas to simplify my configuration?  Thank you in advance for the help!

2 Replies 2

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Jason,

There are a lot of reasons why you'd want a local on-net and off-net partition for each sites device CSS. The 7-Digit to 11-Digit NANP translation is only one use.  Local inbound translation, site specific paging (TDM or VoIP) systems, local hunt groups, and local voicemail access numbers are just a few of the uses I've made of site specific partitions.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

I appreciate the reply.  I understand there may be other reasons why creating site local partitions could come in handy but I was hoping I would not have to create them in this case and that Cisco would have another cool way of making my life easier in CUCM, like they did with the whole Local Route Group feature.

So it sounds like what I'm trying to do is not possible without having to create a local site partition and a 7 digit route pattern for each site.  If anyone has any other ideas then please let me know.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: