cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Collab Deployment - Unrestricted to Restricted

Tony Cilli Jr
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any experience using Prime Collaboration Deployment to migrate a Unity Connection (or CUCM for that matter) server from an Unrestricted release to a Restricted version? Not necessarily doing an upgrade, but a full migration to a new host from an old MCS (going from version 7.1(5) to 10.0 in the process). So I'm wondering if since it's technically a new install and the configuration is being migrated, if it might work using PCD.

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it won't work, there is no method, besides BAT, to go from un-restricted to restricted.

PCD should work the other way around, as would a regular upgrade, from restricted to un-restricted.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

That's too bad..

Not even the most recent release of PCD will do this?

I was given the impression at Cisco Live that it would work..

What is the reasoning behind this not working or being a viable option?

No, it won't work, PCD follows the same rules we already had in place regarding un-restricted to restricted migration.

If you want further explanation as to technical reasons, reach your SE or AM for that matter.

HTH

java

Jamie, well don't that beat all and its actually a shame.. Especially seeing how there is an impression that PCD would be able to do it all per se'.

As far as restrictions are concerned, I'm very familiar with export and ITAR requirements; however data that makes up a dial-plan, phones, etc. is not considered to be export restricted unless certain encryption types are being used.

Before contacting them, I'd prefer to read the technical reasons myself.. Is this published anywhere?

No, it's not published anywhere.

HTH

java

Okay.. Well that's too bad also.. We had a very hard time trying to find restrictions on PCD on CCO especially around this particular function.. It wasn't until we tried a migration that we encountered some issues with ISO's not showing up as being valid.

What is the confidence level that BAT would actually work... ?

BAT is the raw data from the DB in CSV, nothing to do with restricted or unrestricted versions.

HTH

java

So..

We've got new OVA's deployed and Bootable restricted ISO's..

Even if we are migrating to brand new VM's? Not in-place upgrade.. In-Place upgrade I can understand why one couldn't upgrade the existing VM

PCD Upgrade task

• Restr to Restr YES
  • Unrestr to Unrestr YES
  • Others NO

PCD Migration task

• Restr to Restr YES
  • Unrestr to Unrestr YES
  • Restr to Unrestr YES
  • Unrestr to Restr NO 

HTH

java

[+5] to Jaime for sharing the info.

Jamie.. Good info..

Unfortunately Cisco TAC doesn't even know about this.. They had to check and it wasn't just one TAC Engineer that needed to do so..

So I was told that they are opening up product documentation bugs so that this is referenced in full.

Well, it is not in the docs, I also had to reach the PM to find this, I just asked him if they could get this into the PCD documentation and referenced your case. Hopefully they'll add this to the new PCD docs.

HTH

java