cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proactive Server Reboots

Evai
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for information on if there are any recommendations for scheduling reboots of the CUCM. Most posts on here pertaining to this question are rather old. 

Our company is looking to schedule proactive reboots due to an outage where the resolution was to reboot the publisher/subscriber.

Management is suggesting once a month which appears to be overkill. 

Older posts (2011-2015) recommend every 6 months to a year to only rebooting if there is an issue. 

Does cisco have any current standpoint on the matter? 

We are on 12.5. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have sites running version 12.5 last two years without any restart. When oped a TAC case, TAC engineer mentioned that its better to restart the server every 90 days. the same site is running  last 2  years without any restart. I do have other sites on older version which  runs without any restarts   last 7 years.

AFAIK, no CUCM admins guides mentioned about the scheduled restart.So there is no standard  details for server reboots.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Speaking as myself, we've heard anecdote about rebooting systems at least annually, however we've never run into a functional requirement to do so. Nothing crashed, ran out of memory, etc that required a full restart, just because it was running.

Systems patching and maintenance usually requires an appliance restart at least bi-annually, if you have that sort of patch cadence.

There have been many cases of bugs that have required us to restart various services, sometimes frequently (daily) until the the issue can be cleared or resolved by some means. Some of those can result in outage conditions, filling up a disk partition, etc, which I suppose you could resolve by restarting the whole appliance. Strange disruptions to database replication in the distant past seemed to be best resolved this way.

I guess I would wonder what the root cause of your trouble was, and address it appropriately, but I'm not aware of any official guidance myself that states you should be rebooting things. I'm not Cisco however, so perhaps they have some other answer.

I have sites running version 12.5 last two years without any restart. When oped a TAC case, TAC engineer mentioned that its better to restart the server every 90 days. the same site is running  last 2  years without any restart. I do have other sites on older version which  runs without any restarts   last 7 years.

AFAIK, no CUCM admins guides mentioned about the scheduled restart.So there is no standard  details for server reboots.

Response Signature

+1 @Nithin Eluvathingal it really is a solid solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: