cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with TFTP and 7962G firmware upgrade

MB2011
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem where a phone when factory reset states that it is "Upgrading" but never actually upgrades.  The screen shows an IP of "10.1.1.10" and a file name of "term62.default" (notice there is not an extension of “.loads”).  I am assuming that it never finds the file and cannot do the upgrade.  First I do not know why it is trying to find the file on the above IP if that is supposed to be the TFTP address.  My DHCP is as follows which I would think it should be looking at "10.1.1.1".

ip dhcp pool VOICE
network 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.1.1.1
option 150 ip 10.1.1.1

Maybe the IP is not the problem.  DHCP is set to hand out IP’s starting with 10 so that may be the IP the phone is using.  So I then look at why it might not be finding the file.  The content of the “term62.default.loads” file shows the following references:

jar42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

cnu42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

apps42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

dsp42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

cvm42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

The following is the pertinent portion of the “tftp-server” section of the configuration. 

show run | i tftp-server

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/apps42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn alias apps42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/cnu42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn alias cnu42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/cvm42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn alias cvm42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/dsp42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn alias dsp42.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/jar42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn alias jar42sccp.8-5-4TH1-6.sbn

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/SCCP42.8-5-4S.loads alias SCCP42.8-5-4S.loads

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/term42.default.loads alias term42.default.loads

tftp-server flash:/phones/7942_7962/term62.default.loads alias term62.default.loads

I show the flash and indeed I see the files in the /phones/7942_7962/ directory.

From the above, is it not finding the file due to TFTP failure, the fact that the file it is looking for (shown on the phone) is missing the “.loads” extension, or is there a problem with the flash?  It seems to me that I am close but missing some little detail.  What piece of the puzzle am I missing?

TIA, Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

Ok, lets try again.  Your original post has the following question:

I show the flash and indeed I see the files in the /phones/7942_7962/ directory.

From the above, is it not finding the file due to TFTP failure, the fact that the file it is looking for (shown on the phone) is missing the “.loads” extension, or is there a problem with the flash?

Can you post a file list of the "phones/7942_7962" directory?   If the .loads extension is indeed missing from the term62.default filename, you may need to add it or adjust your tftp-server command to exactly match the filename in flash.  Another idea is to replace the file in flash with a new copy, perhaps it got corrupted?

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

Couple of things to check:

1. Set your TFTP source interface to one the phone can reach
    • There are usually multiple interfaces active on any router.  The TFTP server may be grabbing a source IP the phone cannot reach
    • Use the "ip tftp source-interface " command to hard code the TFTP server interface much like you would your voice interface
  2. Debug the TFTP service using "debug tftp events" and watch the output to see if it is asking for a filename you don't have listed, named correctly, or a file in a sub-directory you've not aliased correctly

-Steven

I did the "debug tftp packets" and "debug tftp events".  This showed a reoccuring loop as follows:

Server request for port 49152, socket_id 0x89feefb0 for process 323

read request from host 10.1.1.10(49153) via BVI100

Looking for term62.defaults.loads

This will happen a half dozen times then the phone reboots and it tries again.  Originaly the tftp was set to the following:

ip tftp source-interface Loopback0

I changed it to:

ip tftp source-interface BVI100

This had no effect.  It seems that the phone should have been able to reach either address.  It just appears that it is not communicating with the UC520 tftp server.  Can someone point me at anything else to check?

Mark

Mark,

Look at your tftp alias for the file in quesiton.   I think it is missing a 's' at the end of default.  Your original post has "alias term62.default.loads" and in your recent post you stay the tftp server is reporting the phone looking for term62.defaults.loads.

-Steven

That is a typo...  It is actually looking for "term62.default.loads"...

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Mark,

Ok, lets try again.  Your original post has the following question:

From the above, is it not finding the file due to TFTP failure, the fact that the file it is looking for (shown on the phone) is missing the “.loads” extension, or is there a problem with the flash?

Can you post a file list of the "phones/7942_7962" directory?   If the .loads extension is indeed missing from the term62.default filename, you may need to add it or adjust your tftp-server command to exactly match the filename in flash.  Another idea is to replace the file in flash with a new copy, perhaps it got corrupted?

-Steven

Even though on the phone it shws the file without the extension, the debug showed it was actually requesting the file with the ".loads" extension.  This is a backup of the flash card showing the 7942_7962 directory.

Is there a way to simulate what the phone is requesting from a telnet session which may point at the problem?  Although it looks like the TFTP should work I am suspecting that this is the part that is failing.  In reading the documentation for a phone firmware upgrade it mentions that it is actually using the "option 150" from DHCP to find the TFTP server.

dijohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your phone already has a firmware, you could just use the alternate TFTP option and set the TFTP manually, it should update...

To simulate a TFTP Request on a Windows PC you could use TFTP32

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Use the tftp-client feature, point it to your CME

HTH

/divin

PS: Rate only Useful posts

Unfortunately the phone key sequence was selected to "load factory default" and it appears it wipes out the current settings before establishing that it can do an upgrade.  I get no options once it is plugged into the system.  It immediately tries to upgrade as stated above.

I do have tftpd32 installed on my laptop which can act as both a client and a server.  What I do not know is what part of the config do I need to alter in order for the phone to look at the laptop instead.  My phones are on the 10.1.1.xxx network and the DHCP has "option 150" pointing at 10.1.1.1 for that network.  My laptop is on the data network at 192.168.10.11 which was obtained from the UC500 DHCP server for the data network.  Is there a how-to document on using an outside TFTP server to update phone configs?

juanro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok, the main issue is that you did a factory reset to the phone, you will have to do the following when plugging in the phone.

1. make sure the phone gets an IP address if not you will have to put one is from the DHCP if not then you will need to do this manually, you can check this by doing a show cdp nei detail on the switch were the phone is connected.

2.  Once the phone has IP address and the correct tftp server setting you will need to change the load command you have on telephony service.  Please do the following:

enable

telephony-service

load 7962 SCCP42.8-5-4S

cnf-file per

create cnf

3. What firmware are you upgrading from? If the firmware is to old you will not be able to upgrade to 8.5.4 directly, you will need to try something older and then jump to this.

4.  Try changing the flash files to the root of the flash, remember to change the tftp server commands as well.

5. If you already have the phone configure, try erasing it and doing auto-reg on telephony-service.

Juan Rodriguez

For anyone that has been following along or trips on this discussion in the future, here is how I resolved the issue.

Going on the assumption that one of the files must be corrupt, using CCA 3.0(1) I used the Maintenance-->Phone Load Management to delete existing phone loads, then used the "Upload Phone Loads" tab, pointed to the 8.1.0 upgrade package and extracted the phone loads.  I then selected the 7942_7962 phone type and refreshed the files on the flash.  Once the phone rebooted it found the files and performed the upgrade.  Unfortunately none of the places I looked indicated there was a missing, corrupt or any other type of error.

Thanx to all who offered suggestions throughout this ordeal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: