Helpful
Replies

Pros and Cons command ip direct broadcast

TimeOut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi anyone

can you shared me  Pros and Cons about command "ip direct broadcast"

So If i have put this command to interface do i have to be careful ? 

or the command is the basically configure

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Until there is no requirement of direct broacast between sgement, you should avoid, since the risk of DoS attacks.

here is cisco point of view :

IP directedbroadcastsare droppedby default.DroppingIP directedbroadcastsreducesthe risk of DoS attacks.You can enableforwardingof IP directedbroadcastson an interfacewherethe broadcastbecomesa physicalbroadcast.You enablethe translationof directedIP broadcastpacketsto Layer2 broadcastframeson theinterfacethat is connectedto the IP networkthat the IP directedbroadcastis addressedto. For example,ifIP Application Services Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15SY 47Configuring IPv4 Broadcast Packet HandlingIP Directed Broadcast Address

you need to translateIP directedbroadcastswith the IP destinationaddressof 172.16.10.255to Layer2broadcastframes,you enablethe translationon the interfacethat is connectedto IP network172.16.10.0/24.You can specifyan accesslist to controlwhichdirectedbroadcastsare forwarded.Whenan accesslist isspecified,only thoseIP packetspermittedby the accesslist are eligibleto be translatedfrom directedbroadcaststo physicalbroadcasts.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card