cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Publisher Error when booting

karamalomari
Level 1
Level 1

I have a call manager with version 6 and due to a power failer its showing now the below error:

*** An error occured during the file system check.

*** Please insert the recovery disk

any help on this will be highly apprecaited.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have tried to recover the server with the recovery disk and it appreas that there is a hardware failure with the Hard Disk.

What leads you to this conclusion? If it was a failure of only one disk the RAID1 array should have detected that with the parity data at the controller level. Bad corruption of the file system which fsck can't repair does not necessarily mean hardware failure.

So i have took an image from the faulty hard disk and put it on different hard disk.

How did you do this and with what tool? Linux has multiple partitions with different data structures than a Windows disk has. The tool would need to understand these in order to duplicate the disk.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what you are asking of us here. You need to use (or download from CCO) the recovery disc to repair the file system journal. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080b1f305.shtml

What i want to know here is the following:

I have one Publisher and one subscriber. Suddenly a power failure happened and the both went down. When i tried to bring them up only the subcsriber came up with any issues. while the Publisher is giving the error that i have mentioned above.

Now the problem is that i dont have any backup from the publisher and i am afraid that going through the recovery procesure i will lose the configuration.

So the main question what are the risks on going through the recovery procesure? is there anything i can do to take backup atleast from the publisher?

Thank you and waiting for your feedback.

So the main question what are the risks on going through the recovery procesure? is there anything i can do to take backup atleast from the publisher?

The recovery disk is going to use standard Linux fsck in an attempt to repair and/or replay the journal. It will usually work, or at least get far enough that the OS can boot again. There are no guarantees though.

There's no way to complete the backup without the publisher online.

Hey Jonathan,

I have tried to recover the server with the recovery disk and it appreas that there is a hardware failure with the Hard Disk.

So i have took an image from the faulty hard disk and put it on different hard disk. no when i bootup the server it gets stuck on Activating swap partition.

Any idea how to proceed after that?

Thank you for your help

What leads you to this conclusion? If it was a failure of only one disk the RAID1 array should have detected that with the parity data at the controller level. Bad corruption of the file system which fsck can't repair does not necessarily mean hardware failure.

So i have took an image from the faulty hard disk and put it on different hard disk.

How did you do this and with what tool? Linux has multiple partitions with different data structures than a Windows disk has. The tool would need to understand these in order to duplicate the disk.

Thanks Jonathan for your reply.

I have actually checked with the Linux team and they totaly agree with you.

I have resolved the issue by replacing the faulty hardware and restore from backup.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: