Helpful
Replies

purpose of dial peers.

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

Ipphone1-------CME--------Ipphone2

I noticed that CME uses Dial peer to perform call management functions between calling phone and called phone. Once the the receive " start media transmission" message, the voice stream is between two ip addresses belonging to calling phone and called phone.

The only other time dial peers are used by CME, when it has to terminate the connection between calling phone and called phone for example if calling party hangs up, the CME informs the called party to terminate the session by sending" stop media transmission".

To me it appears CME uses dial peers to contact ipphones when it has to send some management messages to ip phones, other than that ipphones ip use addresses to send voice stream without using any dial peers.

Your input will be appreciated.

thanks and have a nice weekend.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

Without getting down into the weeds, I view dial-peer statements as the dialplan of the gateway.  Your voice gateway then uses that dialplan logic to make call routing decisions.  The dial-peers don't do anything at all other than help the gateway make those decisions.  Even if your call legs were to terminate to the voice gateway (as in PSTN caller makes/receives call to your CME user), the call legs don't terminate to a dial-peer.  The dial-peers are just groupings of data that the router uses to make decisions.

Not sure if I just muddied the waters more for you or not but that's how I think of it anyways.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

Without getting down into the weeds, I view dial-peer statements as the dialplan of the gateway.  Your voice gateway then uses that dialplan logic to make call routing decisions.  The dial-peers don't do anything at all other than help the gateway make those decisions.  Even if your call legs were to terminate to the voice gateway (as in PSTN caller makes/receives call to your CME user), the call legs don't terminate to a dial-peer.  The dial-peers are just groupings of data that the router uses to make decisions.

Not sure if I just muddied the waters more for you or not but that's how I think of it anyways.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: