Helpful
Replies

PVDM3-16U64 ?

Nirmal Joshi
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Just a little query on the PVDM3-16U64

I have part code CISCO2911-V/K9 bundle with PVDM3-16 (zero price) and if I get PVDM3-16U64 with the bundle then will it gives us 64 channels in all?

How does this work behind the scenes? Does Cisco change the PVDM3-16 with PVDM3-64 or are these DSP chips programable?

Please clarify.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would get different physical PVDM3 modules, -16 in one case, -64 in the other.

View solution in original post

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The PVDM3-64 has 2 DSPs in it each with a total allocation of 480 credits. The total number of voice channels supported is calculated based on G711 call. Each G711 call uses 15 credits, hence 480/15=32
Hence 2 DSPs will give you 32*2=64 channels

Similarly the pvdm3-16, has 1 DSP with a credit allocation of 240, hence it can support a total of 240/15=16 channels.

You can read on the document below. It explains in detail how things work behind the scenes

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29164

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would get different physical PVDM3 modules, -16 in one case, -64 in the other.

Paolo,

Thanks for looking into this.

Just to clarify little further if I configure CISCO2911-V/K9 and select PVDM3-16U64 part code for PVDM in CCW then I should get one PVDM3 card with 64 channels. Correct?

I think Cisco would simply put the 64 channel DSP chip in one of the slots.

When I select PVDM3-16U64 in CCW then the default PVDM3-16 part does not show. Is this how it should happen?

Thanks,

Nirmal

You need not to worry. You will get what you pay for.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!      

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The PVDM3-64 has 2 DSPs in it each with a total allocation of 480 credits. The total number of voice channels supported is calculated based on G711 call. Each G711 call uses 15 credits, hence 480/15=32
Hence 2 DSPs will give you 32*2=64 channels

Similarly the pvdm3-16, has 1 DSP with a credit allocation of 240, hence it can support a total of 240/15=16 channels.

You can read on the document below. It explains in detail how things work behind the scenes

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29164

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks a ton.

Good day for all !!!

PVDM3-16U64PVDM3   16-channel to 64-channel factory upgrade

what does Cisco mean by 16 to 64 channel factory upgrade, does this comes with 16 channel and later can be upgraded to 64 channel ?

Is this part number orderable ?

Your answers are much appreciated !!!

Mathew

This is a factory upgrade, that means that the 16 channel will be upgraded to 64 channel before it is shipped out to you. Most times this is part of a bundle. You usually see this when you are ordering one of the ISR G2 gateways.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks for the reply.

What is the big difference here in putting "16-channel to 64-channel factory upgrade" rather than using just "64-channel"

This is confusing while ordering, please have any thoughts.

Mathew

The bundles that have PVDM3-16 on them by default will cost you nothing for the PVDM. What this means is that when you select this bundles, this PVDM automatically comes with it. However if you want an upgrade for a higher pvdm module, you can choose one of the available upgrades which will  not be free. You will pay extra for it. Hope that makes sense

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

A lot pal !!!

Thanks...........

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: