cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS settings for Avaya phones

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I am familiar with how QoS on catalyst switches needs to be set up for Cisco phones, but I am a little unclear about how it has to be done for Avaya SIP phones.

so here is what I am wondering

1. Avaya phones do not run cdp correct? Therefore, if a voice vlan needs to be picked up by the phone, every switch port to which a phone is attached needs to be configured as a dot1q trunk yes?

2. I see that Avaya recommends that setting "mls qos cos 6" on the port where the phone is connected. Is this different from the cisco phone? I seem to recall that cisco phones use cos 5

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Collin,

Here the answer:

1.1 Avaya phones do not run cdp correct? Avaya phones do not run CDP

1.2 Phone is attached needs to be configured as a dot1q trunk? Yes

2. QoS..Is this different from the cisco phone? No, remember you need to apply QoS to Voice (RTP) and Signaling. For Signaling use COS3 and Voice use COS5 as a standard but is just for marking the packet.

Providing the Avaya phone can mark signalling and voice packets accordingly, it's just a matter of trusting the DSCP/COS values and then applying the corresponding bandwidth reservation commands. You might need to re-configure the standard mapping of COS to DSCP as Cisco's values might not be the same as the ones used by Avaya phones though.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Collin,

Here the answer:

1.1 Avaya phones do not run cdp correct? Avaya phones do not run CDP

1.2 Phone is attached needs to be configured as a dot1q trunk? Yes

2. QoS..Is this different from the cisco phone? No, remember you need to apply QoS to Voice (RTP) and Signaling. For Signaling use COS3 and Voice use COS5 as a standard but is just for marking the packet.

Providing the Avaya phone can mark signalling and voice packets accordingly, it's just a matter of trusting the DSCP/COS values and then applying the corresponding bandwidth reservation commands. You might need to re-configure the standard mapping of COS to DSCP as Cisco's values might not be the same as the ones used by Avaya phones though.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Indeed Avaya phones do not use CDP. You have three options with Avaya phones and Cisco switches.
1. configure trunks like you mentioned
2. use LLDP
3. configuire port for switch access vlan and voice vlan and have the Avaya phones learn the voice vlan number from option 242 (for 96xx and 16xx phones) or option 176 (for 46xx series phones)

Your question on how to configure QoS requires that you first deternmine if you like to have call signaling in EF (as Avaya uses as standard setting) or if you want it to go into another class. I have set both RTP and call siganling into COS 5 in my network region setup in CM and use the default cos and dscp mappings on switches, I'm trusting the dscp at the voice vlan and set all data to a lower class, my interswitch trunks are set to trust cos, and on the WAN routers I am mapping both EF and CS5 marked packets into my EF class.
There are many more ways to do it, this one worked best in my environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: