Views
Helpful
Replies

"TFTP File not found" on 7940 sccp phone

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Using CUCM 9.1 and recently received a replacement 7940G phone back from Cisco.  However, when it attempts to boot it stops and reports "tftp file not found".   I have read that this could be related to a firmware issue, but how do I tell what firmware is actually running currently and then update only this particular phone if that is the case?.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R/

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Good idea my friend I'm thinking 8-1-1 would be

a reasonable choice here. Your current CUCM device

defaults are probably trying to load an 8-1-2 version so

maybe you are seeing this caveat;

Note

You  cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2) directly from firmware  release 8.0(10) or an earlier release. You have to upgrade to firmware  release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to  release 8.1(2).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/firmware/8_1_2/english/release/notes/796040_812.html#wp1152314

+5 to my friend Mark here as well for his good tips! I believe the 8-5-2 reference

is for models like the 7941, 7942 etc. though

Cheers!

Rob

"Your life is worth much more than gold." 

- Bob Marley

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Amine Nouasri
Level 3
Level 3

I would bounce the TFTP server just in case. You can Find the default firmware under Device > Device Settings > Device Defaults. If you want to configure a phone to use a particular firmware, you can specify that on the phone configuration page - Phone load name. You have to enter the firmware load name without the extension of the file (.load).

Please rate helpful answers!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

You are probably most correct in the need for an intermediate firmware

I might just try loading an older 7940 firmware like 8-0-1 & then use the

Phone Load Name setting on the Device config page in CUCM to update only

that phone.

Follow the steps in the attached doc to note the device defaults and load an individual

IP Phone.

Cheers!

Rob

Attachments:

- Bob Marley

Well, I tried manually setting up the phone and made some progress, however I went back to an older 8-0-1 and it just keeps reporting thats its downgrading now and continually loops trying to downgrade.  Going to shoot for a higher one and see what happens.

Hi , if i remember rightly i think you need to take it to 8.5(2)

cheers

mark

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Good idea my friend I'm thinking 8-1-1 would be

a reasonable choice here. Your current CUCM device

defaults are probably trying to load an 8-1-2 version so

maybe you are seeing this caveat;

Note

You  cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2) directly from firmware  release 8.0(10) or an earlier release. You have to upgrade to firmware  release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to  release 8.1(2).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/firmware/8_1_2/english/release/notes/796040_812.html#wp1152314

+5 to my friend Mark here as well for his good tips! I believe the 8-5-2 reference

is for models like the 7941, 7942 etc. though

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Thank you thank you......that worked with starting with 8.1.1, I thought I had to start lower.  Can I give everyone 5 points???

Hi David,

You are most welcome my friend! Yes, "High Fives" for everyone

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: