cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebuilt the sub for cucm/Also Bridged upgrade senario

Hi Folks

We have a cucm  cluster with a pub and one sub

The pub had problem(all the services ) stuck to the starting mode

So i removed the existing disks and put new ones(hard disk)(i have removed it because i didnt want to format the existings in case that i have to use it again...

Then i have reinstalled the pub(i have removed it from the existing environment) and here is my thoughts

1) when i put it back to the production mode then it will replicate the database to the sub.So i have to issue a replication repair or reset?

Your ideas?

Please rate all useful posts Regards Chrysostomos ""The Most Successful People Are Those Who Are Good At Plan B""
7 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

The SUB "data" needs to exist on thw PUB for it to try ro replicate over to the SUB therefore you need to perform a restore on the PUB. Once the restore is done you would need to reset database replication between the servers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

You don't need to restore DRS to the sub's, but you need to install them up to the same exact version, including device packs, language packs and so on as the pub. On the pub you would restore DRS from the old version prior to the upgrade to the new version.

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Response Signature

A couple things to point out.

We have the bridge upgrade process for a reason. DRS is meant to perform a disaster recovery under full operating conditions like "Default gateway", NTP, DNS server availability and others. On some older versions of CUCM, DRS might fail if you were doing a restore isolated from the network, and that's because it was not the original intention for DRS. DRS has become better over time, and now we don't seem to see problems with a restore on an isolated network, but it fails there's little we could do.

I see an aversion from customers towards upgrading their current PUB, doing a bridge upgrade, taking the backup on 8.X and then  rollback. This could certantly be done during a 4 hour maintenance window, with the only implication that no changes could be made to the environment, I understand customer don't like to perform changes on their production environments, however personnally speaking I don't believe this is justified to perform the process in an isolated hardware. In the end it's up to the customer.

You don't need a restore on the SUB, you just need to fresh install the SUB in 8.X and it will replicate it's DB from the PUB. You will still need to install TFTP, device packs, and other .cop files you installed on your PUB.

Chris,

I can see the bridge upgrade process is not very clear. Let's do the following let me write up a short document describing the bridge upgrade process and post it on this thread so you and other customer can use it for future reference.

Basically:

1) Upgrade the PUB. All SUBs will be operational.

2) Take a backup from the PUB.

3) Roll back the PUB.

Notice SUB and phones are not affected during this procedure, you are just taking a backup for CUCM 8.X version

With that backup you can then go and fresh install your cluster in UCS or a different hardware.

Old servers can be latter decommisioned, once the phones have been migrated.

That sounds like a plausible method. Since you plan to use a separate server as a stepping stone from old to new, and then take a backup of this to restore that to the final new HW. You can very well remove the sub from the stepping stone CUCM, backup the pub, restore that to the new pub on UCS, then add the subs in the admin web GUI and after that install the subs.

Response Signature

Chris,

It doesn't matter that database replication is broken. The only server that backup the CCM DB is the PUB and that's what you are backing up. I agree the process is a little odd, but that's how development design it.

The SUB will continue to operate eventhough they are no replicating it's database.

Database replication broken was a big pain back in the 5.X days, but in 6.X with customer facing features, servers save CFWdAll and other features locally.

Also keep in mind this will be done during a maintenance window, and phone won't be down.

The bridge upgrade is like any other upgrade.

6.X on the Active. You are here

6.X on the active, 8.X on the inactive. After the upgrade

6.X on the inactive, and 8.X on the active. After the switch version.

8.X on the inactive, 6.X on the active. After the rollback.

Normally you can't, but in bridged upgrade mode you can have different active version on the pub and subs.

Response Signature

14 Replies 14

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You must perform a DRS restore on the pulisher. Follow the instructions in the Disaster Recovery Guide.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

The SUB "data" needs to exist on thw PUB for it to try ro replicate over to the SUB therefore you need to perform a restore on the PUB. Once the restore is done you would need to reset database replication between the servers.

Robert

Can you clarify your answer?

If we we have an existing cluster version for example 6.1.x and we want to move to 8.6.x and the existing hardware is not compatible is only for bridged upgrade , but we dont want to perform that because the current cluster we will not be fuctional if is in the bridge mode.So we have another two new hardwares.Take a backup from the 6.1.x cluster

Install in the new hardware the 6.1.x version (only the pub) , and then upgrade to the 8.6.x version.Then install the SUB with 8.6.x version

Here is my question:

Its need it any backup restore into SUB??

If yes then we can use the same backup we used for the PUB?

Please rate all useful posts Regards Chrysostomos ""The Most Successful People Are Those Who Are Good At Plan B""

You don't need to restore DRS to the sub's, but you need to install them up to the same exact version, including device packs, language packs and so on as the pub. On the pub you would restore DRS from the old version prior to the upgrade to the new version.

Response Signature

Roger , hi

another last question

If we have ONLY one new hardware and reinstall there the 6.1.x version and then restore the pub from the backup , then if we upgrade it to the 8.6.x version then can we take a backup?OR i have to remove from the PUB the SUB and then proceed with the backup.

The senario that we have is:

The current hardwares are not going to version 8.x (version that is need it for ucs) .So only bridged upgrade is allowed.But we dont want this because the cluseter will be down to this senario.So we have find one new hardware that we can proceed there to upgarde to 8.x version.Can we do that and then take a backup(if is not working because will not find the SUB ) THEN IT WILL be ok if we will remove the SUB fro,m the PUB?

And if this senario works then we will install 8.x version(same with the backup) to ucs restore the PUB and proceed with the sub

Is it ok this senario??

That sounds like a plausible method. Since you plan to use a separate server as a stepping stone from old to new, and then take a backup of this to restore that to the final new HW. You can very well remove the sub from the stepping stone CUCM, backup the pub, restore that to the new pub on UCS, then add the subs in the admin web GUI and after that install the subs.

Response Signature

This is exactly what i am thinking

Because i am a little afraid with the bridged upgrade method

Thnak you mate

i will rate all the posts in the end

A couple things to point out.

We have the bridge upgrade process for a reason. DRS is meant to perform a disaster recovery under full operating conditions like "Default gateway", NTP, DNS server availability and others. On some older versions of CUCM, DRS might fail if you were doing a restore isolated from the network, and that's because it was not the original intention for DRS. DRS has become better over time, and now we don't seem to see problems with a restore on an isolated network, but it fails there's little we could do.

I see an aversion from customers towards upgrading their current PUB, doing a bridge upgrade, taking the backup on 8.X and then  rollback. This could certantly be done during a 4 hour maintenance window, with the only implication that no changes could be made to the environment, I understand customer don't like to perform changes on their production environments, however personnally speaking I don't believe this is justified to perform the process in an isolated hardware. In the end it's up to the customer.

You don't need a restore on the SUB, you just need to fresh install the SUB in 8.X and it will replicate it's DB from the PUB. You will still need to install TFTP, device packs, and other .cop files you installed on your PUB.

Robert

thank you

few questions more

1) If we proceed with the bridged upgrade then we have to do it for the PUB and SUB right?

2) When cluster it will be in a bridged upgrade then phones , etc will be down right?

3) we need a license in the bridged mode fro version 8?

4) The bridged upgrade is like a normal upgrade?i mean it will go to the inactive partision?

3) when we take a backup from the cluster in bridged mode then we can switch to the previous version with out any issue??

Chris,

I can see the bridge upgrade process is not very clear. Let's do the following let me write up a short document describing the bridge upgrade process and post it on this thread so you and other customer can use it for future reference.

Basically:

1) Upgrade the PUB. All SUBs will be operational.

2) Take a backup from the PUB.

3) Roll back the PUB.

Notice SUB and phones are not affected during this procedure, you are just taking a backup for CUCM 8.X version

With that backup you can then go and fresh install your cluster in UCS or a different hardware.

Old servers can be latter decommisioned, once the phones have been migrated.

Thank you so much Robert

But i still have some questions

1) When you upgrade the PUB to 8.x(bridged upgrade) and the sub has the old version , then we will not have a replication issue here?

2) how we will take a backup if the PUB has a different version with the SUB?we can do that?

3) the bridged upgarde going to inactive partition or is going to the acive directly?

Chris,

It doesn't matter that database replication is broken. The only server that backup the CCM DB is the PUB and that's what you are backing up. I agree the process is a little odd, but that's how development design it.

The SUB will continue to operate eventhough they are no replicating it's database.

Database replication broken was a big pain back in the 5.X days, but in 6.X with customer facing features, servers save CFWdAll and other features locally.

Also keep in mind this will be done during a maintenance window, and phone won't be down.

The bridge upgrade is like any other upgrade.

6.X on the Active. You are here

6.X on the active, 8.X on the inactive. After the upgrade

6.X on the inactive, and 8.X on the active. After the switch version.

8.X on the inactive, 6.X on the active. After the rollback.

Robert

We can do a backup in PUB with a different version (PUB FROM SUB)

I didnt check it before.Can we do that?

Normally you can't, but in bridged upgrade mode you can have different active version on the pub and subs.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: