Views
Helpful
Replies

Recording message for a call handler

jmhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Running a Cisco Unified Business Edition (CUBE) 7.1.3.  Been asked to create a new menu for the operator message.  All the requests are straight forward except for one which is to hit button 5, and have a message played giving directions to our building.

Reading through the admin manual, it would seem that a Call-handler would be what I would point button 5 to, and then record a message for that Call Handler.

My challenge is, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.  I created a call handler.  Assigned it an extension in the call handler, but that is as fare as I can get.  The docs say to try the media master, to which this does nothing for me.  If I hit the Play/record button(record is set to Use phone), I get an mmApplet popup, but then nothing else happens.

I then read about the Greetings Administrator.  Fine, I'll try that (Chapter 17 for the sparse instructions). I set up a phone number (in this case x5315).  I told it to forward all (in the phone parameters).  I also told it that it had a Voicemail box (I tried Default, and NONE as well to no avail).  I even created a direct routing rule as specified in the instructions on the Unity server to do a conversation -> Greetngs Admin.  That does not seem to get me anywhere.Sends me to the default VM system.  Ok, hit * (star), enter 5315, then asks for PIN.  NO IDEA where I set (or reset) that!.  No, I do not yet have an "End User" defined for this extension.

Someone throw me a bone please?

Thanks,

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James,

If you search for greeting administrator you will find quite a few posts on it here. In nutshell there are 2 quick ways to get to Greeting Administrator:

1. create specific number that points it via Call routing rule in UCON, or another call handler that does not play any prompt but simply transfers the call after greeting to pre-defined Greeting Admin conversation

2. On any other call handler map out a caller input option to point to this conversation, it can be a hidden menu

Then assign the user that will be dialing in with a Greeting Admin role and make this user owner of "Operator" call handler.

Assign an extension to Operator call handler and map it as an option 5 from your existing call handler.

Now operator will use one of the options above to access greeting admin conversation, will be prompted for username and PIN, and then the extension of the call handler they want to record greeting for, they enter extension you assigned to the Operator CH and have them follow prompts to record new greeting.

Make sure the Operator call handler is not setup to take massage after the greeting if all you want it to do is play some kind of message.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James,

If you search for greeting administrator you will find quite a few posts on it here. In nutshell there are 2 quick ways to get to Greeting Administrator:

1. create specific number that points it via Call routing rule in UCON, or another call handler that does not play any prompt but simply transfers the call after greeting to pre-defined Greeting Admin conversation

2. On any other call handler map out a caller input option to point to this conversation, it can be a hidden menu

Then assign the user that will be dialing in with a Greeting Admin role and make this user owner of "Operator" call handler.

Assign an extension to Operator call handler and map it as an option 5 from your existing call handler.

Now operator will use one of the options above to access greeting admin conversation, will be prompted for username and PIN, and then the extension of the call handler they want to record greeting for, they enter extension you assigned to the Operator CH and have them follow prompts to record new greeting.

Make sure the Operator call handler is not setup to take massage after the greeting if all you want it to do is play some kind of message.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for the note back, Chris.

Somewhat lost here.  My experience previously was with CCX system, so everything was a script build.  Unity Connection on the other hand, is foreign to me.

In your steps above.  Define UCON (I'm presuming you mean the Unity Connection)? 

Now, create a number that points to "it" via Call routing rule. I presume that this is different than the "Direct Routing Rule" I created above in Unity Connection?

"On any other call handler map out..." I have 6 total call handlers. They are as follows

Goodbye

Opening Greeting

Operator                         0

Company                       5300

Company-location         5301

Company-ALT               5400

So the Company one would seem to handle outside calls, subsequently playing the message that is recorded on a mailbox called "MainNumber" which resides at extension 5299.  I've modified the Call-Input of 5299 and of the 5300 call handler to have the same options (discovered this when I dialed internally vs externally).

5400 seems to be an old recording, not used.

5301 is the new call handler I created in attempt to give directions to our building

So, I apologize for not being smarter on this.

Thanks,

James

>>In your steps above.  Define UCON (I'm presuming you mean the Unity Connection)? 

Sorry, yes.

>>Now, create a number that points to "it" via Call routing rule. I  presume that this is different than the "Direct Routing Rule" I created  above in Unity Connection?

You may need Forwarding Rule depends on what device is built on CUCM that redirects the call to Unity

When building these call flows start from the button up, build your final destination handlers first, i.e. company-location, configure with DN (DN may not be needed if handler is referenced from another handler, but you need it if you want to change greetings via greeting administrator), configure greeting and after greeting behavior, etc

Next on the main call handler simply map each caller input to the appropriate destinations, such as direct users, other call handlers, directory handlers, etc.

The easiest way to point to these handlers is to build CTI RPs in CUCM that are set to forward all to VM and have proper VM profile assigned, then you do not need any call routing rules as the redirecting number will match the DN of the call handler and the handler will pick up the call.

HTH,

Chris

Ok, so when I currently look at my extension 5300 in CUCM, It shows:

And when I look at the CTI route point defined, It shows me this:

Now, I don't think I am clear as how this extension ultimately ends up at the recorded primary extension, 5299.  Nothing from the above images would seem to tell me how it is getting to the Unity system.  And I cannot tell how 5300 ultimately ends up at 5299.

You did not show the DN call forward all config on the CTI RP.

So, you are saying if you dial 5300 it ends up in 5299?  How is the call handler with DN 5300 configured like under Call transfer and greetings (standard, closed if enabled and alternate if enabled)?

Also, I am assuming there are no routing rules that match DN 5300, correct?

Chris

Chris, sorry if I am wasting your time, this thing is a mess. 

Further, I seem to have NO handle on this whole mess.  You are correct, 5300 does not get touched.  For some reason, I believed that external numbers are hitting it, but they are not. 

I've got to get this mapped out correctly to see the whole picture.

When the main number is dialed (which happens to be npa-nxx-5200), it is transform-masked to x5200

--> 5200 is transformed masked to x5299

--> x5299 is mapped to three partitions - pt_closed, pt_open, pt_device (that would appear to be the operator console)

--> pt_open - Does no forwarding during the day (that is changing/has changed. CH mode all the time)

--> pt_closed - Forwards all after hours

NOTE: 5299 seems to be tied to a mailbox called "MainNumber".

UNITY SECTION

x5299, user MainNumber has Caller Input defined as discussed early on.  Option 5 points to the Call Handler LOCATION (that I created previously tying to x5301), attempt transfer is selected, but I cannot get a message recorded there (my original problem).

Roles - None Defined

Transfer rules - there is an Alternate, Closed, & Standard.  All three defined as extension 5299.

All the rest of the choices seem non important to mention here.

At this point, I am not even sure what any of the other Call Handlers do that were mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, this thing is a mess and how I inherited it.

Chris,

I hope you are still with me here.  After spending additional time sorting this out, the above seems to be valid.  So, what I did, was map the (non used) CH 5300 to have a button (number 7) to go to the Greeting Admin conversation.

This gets me there, but it then asks for ID and PIN.  Not sure where that is controlled from.  I tried the ID of 5301 (Location), but no clue to the PIN number.  Can you point me that direction?

Thanks,

James

Never mind.  Like mentioned, try the search feature. I found the following article:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3636967#3636967

Thanks...

James

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey James,

Did this get you where you need to go?

I highly recommend using ATM (Audio text manager) from the great Unity

Tools when building Call Handler/AA's in Unity Connection. Have a look at the tool and

training/help videos here The interface makes creating these much more "user friendly".

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/ATM/ATM.html

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Thanks for the tip Rob.

Yea, I got it finally going.  Chris was insrumental in getting me to look deeper into what I had (although he has since dissapeared). Although your posting I put up a few messages ago was very good in giving me the answer on what to do when prompted to log in.

So, in short, I used Chris' answer in mapping a key to go to the conversaion with Greetings Administrator, and your posting to explain what to do when the verbal prompts occur.

Thanks again all...

James

Sorry James, I did not mean to disappear, I though you were covered.  Let us know if there is still anything further you need from us.

Chris

No worries thanks again for the assist.