Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy for two cisco routers voice gateway & two ISDN lines

TAN VO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently using E1 trunk on cisco voice gateway (2911) to connect Telecom. Now I would like to add another E1 trunk as well as another router (2911) to increase outlines and redundancy. I am having two cucm cluster and using H323 between cucm & voice gateway.

Therefore, is this possible to configure new E1 on the new router voice gateway? It mean if the main router vocie gateway gose down, incoming calls & outgoing call will through second router voice gateway.

Any suggest?

Thanks and best regards,

Tan

6 Replies 6

Hi.

Sure you can.

For incoming calls, it depends on your Telco Provider, for outgoing you can add a third VG and create a Route Group adding all VGs and choosing the selection algorithm as you prefere (Circular/ Top-Down)

Than configure a Route List adding the previously created Route Group.

Modify your route patterns pointing them to the above route list.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Sreekanth Narayanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tan,

Route Groups are used to create redundancy on CUCM. If  we add all the gateways to the same RG, they will not be redundant. The  way to achieve redundancy is to put the various VGs in separate RGs and  then all the RGs under the route list.

Thanks

Sreekanth

Hi.

As per my knowledge, in a Route group, if a listed VG is not available (not reachable, service down, B channels all busy), CUCM select the other VG in the Route Group and this could be a sort of redundancy.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Hi Carlos,

If all VGs are in the same RG, and the call hits VG1 and fails, then CUCM will not try to route it over VG2. This kind of redundancy is not present. To achieve this, we need to keep VG1 in RG1 and VG2 in RG2, and change a service parameter on CCM service. Then, we can achieve true redundancy. Even if the call fails after choosing VG1, CUCM will route it out of the backup VG2.

Thanks

Sreekanth

Hi Sreekanth.

Sorry if I'm replicating you but I've different setup of CUCM with single rote group and different VGs.

Tested also now at my customer reloading the first VG in a RG on a TOP/DOWN selection (for mantainance purpose )

and the call falls on the second VG.

If all VG are unavailable in RG1 CUCM will select the first available VG in RG2 if added in the Route List used by Route Pattern

Regards

Carlo

afmmanicke
Level 1
Level 1

Like Carlo initally said "For incoming calls, it depends on your Telco Provider."   Our provider calls this feature "Trunk Busy Overflow," but I think the industry standard name is Overflow Traffic from a Trunk Group with Balking (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1964.tb04058.x/abstract

TONY

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: