cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Refurbished cisco 8865 migration issue

ashutosh30492
Level 1
Level 1
I am from India and purchased a refurbished Cisco 8865 for using at home with my personal SIP subscription. However, the phone kept asking for a QR Code or an activation key. After a lot of searching the web, I stumbled upon the cisco upgrade guide for conversion and followed the steps in the upgrade.cisco.com link -> https://upgrade.cisco.com/e2m_converter_3rd

I am now stuck as the phone keeps asking for a migration licence which I don't have. And there's no way online to buy it.

I wanted to check if there's a way to either purchase the license (and what's the associated cost), or is there any way to bypass this licence? I had bought a refurbished device from on ebay and this must be a device which was decommissioned by some corporate.

I have bought the device in an individual capacity to set up an SIP phone - to learn how the SIP system works. I am not an enterprise user so I am struggling to find a cost effective solution for this. Thanks in advance!

Phone details:
Product Name: CP-8865-3PCC
Serial Number: PUC20488WDA
VID: V03
MAC Address: 08CCA785A4C3
Software Version: sip8845_65.11-3-7MPP0001-272.loads
Hardware Version:     V01

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The SKU license to convert the phone from Enterprise image to 3PCC/MPP is .

Is the phone already operating in 3PCC/MPP or not?

From the phone details you provided, the software version Is sip8845_65.11-3-7MPP0001-272.loads which is a MPP platform. Is this info Correct ?

If correct you can register the phone with your SIP provider. 

Not, them must  reach out a Cisco partner in India and get the licenses which @Leo Laohoo mentioned. Buying it from Online I dont think it will workout.Cisco  their products through Partners and not directly online( except webex and webex devices ). 

Or you check with the vendor from whom you bought the phone.

Response Signature

Not necessarily. If that phone was migrated from Ent to MPP using the options on Webex Control Hub it can only register to Webex Calling; any other SIP proxy/registrar would still require the paid migration license.

The only way to be sure it can register to any 3rd-party call control is if the phone has a 3PCC SKU on the label, i.e. it has always been MPP. Otherwise the seller would need to clarify; possibly a complaint to file with eBay if that wasn’t clear in the listing.

As for buying the migration license: in the US you would need a Cisco partner to sell it to you. I’m not sure if there are other options in India. If you work for an company that uses Cisco, ask your Cisco AM or SE for guidance.

And before anyone goes on a rant about this: the BU claims that they are required to pay different patent royalties on Ent vs. MPP firmware. The only way to keep an accurate count is to serialize the migration process using the MAC address. If the phone is being moved to Webex Calling, Cisco is willing to absorb that cost. I don’t blame them for protecting that from becoming an off-ramp but it certainly complicated the secondary market.