Views
Helpful
Replies

Region codecs between locations?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

We have complaints about interoffice calls between two of our locations.  On the interoffice calls the complaints are of intermittent choppiness and static.  When I look at the regional settings there is no region set for the calls between these two offices. 

Does anyone here on the forum know what the system default is set to?  I want to try adding the codec setting between these locations to see if it might resolve this issue. 

We have already checked bandwidth and we are not saturating our link.  Again this issue only seems to be happening on interoffice calls between the two locations.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The default intra region and inter region codecs are in the CUCM service parameters.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you Jaime,

As it turns out the default parameters are the same as the basic ones I see set for most locations.  I noticed that the particular site in question had one side set to manual codec and the other was left out.  I thought this would maybe explain the intermittent call quality issues but if the side that was left out was going to default then I'm pretty sure that blows my theory out of the water.

The issue here is interoffice calls that have intermittent static and chop.  If you have any other suggestions for what we should check into it would be great to hear them.  We have already looked at bandwidth and when this has happened bandwidth was not an issue.

Thanks again.

Rgds,

Vicky

You'd need to look at CMR data from those calls or look at the real time stats on the phone to see what is happening, if there's jitter, packet loss, etc.

Do you have proper QoS in the WAN link??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

We have EF Gold Car service on our MPLS voip traffic.  We checked and there is no record of the EF CAR being exceeded.

Do you know if CMR records get stored or are they overwritten?  I am just wondering if I can collect data that may help us figure out what the issue is after the fact?

Please let me know.

Thank you again.

Hi,

You can get CME from below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/11_0_1/cdrdef/CUCM_BK_RFDE0054_00_cucm-cdr-administration-guide-1101/call_management_records.html

With CMR you would also need PCAP to provide deeper insight, to see are we loseing on QOS marking.

(Rate if it helps)

JB