cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Region settings on CUCM

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

When configuring Region setting for new gateway, what should be the criteria to configure the "Modify Relationship to other Regions"

Should it be G.729 codec for voice or G711?

6 Replies 6

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi

Gateway has  nothing to choose. The region configuraiton is part of Device pool assigned to Gateway. So if Ip phone calling from same device pool, it will use G711 and if Ip phone calling another device pool it will use G729. Offcourse this has to be configured in Region configuration and not in gateway configuration.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

If i have many regions in cucm...then i will select G.729 for all other regios and G.711 for itself?

hi

Yes you are correct.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answers.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Hi,

This explains very nice the concept of regions in UCM: http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=426635&seqNum=3

Typically, G.711 is used when BW is not an issue. For example, Phone A and Phone B are in the same site/campus and you assign them to a region "HQ". You should set G.711 for the HQ relationship with itself.

Typically, G.729 is used when BW is an issue. For example, Phone A in HQ region needs to talk with Phone C in a branch office (Phone C is assigned to "BR1" region). If BW is low, then you should set G.729 for the relationship between HQ and BR1.

Hope it helps, please rate if it does.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Thnaks for nice reply.

I have one more question regarding REGION.

What if i didnt select region to region codec settings? Does it really matter

Hi

THere are two system parameters:

Default Intraregion Max Audio Bit Rate : g711

Default Interregion Max Audio Bit Rate : g729

So if you have nothing set for a pair of regions it will use G729. Within any region it's G711 (or G722)

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!