cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering Cisco 8800 Phones to Webex Calling (Broadcloud)

jriacono5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working on my first deployment for Cisco Webex Calling. We have a number of 8851 phones we will be registering to the cloud. I have seen how to configure them in the Webex Control Hub, but I am a bit unsure about the best way to configure the phone settings so they connect to the cloud. The documentation and youtube videos I've found all seem to point to needing to login to the web page for each phone and set the provisioning URL. Is that the only way to do it? Does it come that way by default? I don't physically have a phone to test with yet so I'm kinda in the dark. Could someone please provide some insight?

Thank you,
James

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are the phones running 3PCC/MPP firmware?

Yes, the phones were ordered with the MPP firmware.

jriacono5
Level 1
Level 1
Bump

jeboer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI James,

When you create a new user/device in control hub WxCalling the backend system takes care of creating a zero touch provisioning (Cisco EDOS) entry. When the phone is factory reset (or fresh from the box) it will go thru it's boot cycle.

1. Acquire an IP address (DHCP)
  2. Process DHCP options (if applicable)
    1. Find bootstrap file to provision on the location provided by DHCP options)
    2. Find bootstrap file to provision on default GW
  3. Go to the Internet and connect to Cisco EDOS
    1. Identify itself using a MIC (manufacturer installed certificate) combined with MAC address, ..etc
    2. Get the redirect to WxCalling (sends the phone to: https://spa.sipflash.com/welcome.xml)
    3. Provision on WxCalling (including upgrade/downgrade if needed)
  4. Operational

You shouldn't need to upgrade or manual enter any information on the phone (exception might be a phone running a very old load)

Factory Reset Phone using phoneUI:

Settings > Device Administration > Factory Reset
Factory Reset "old skool":

Unplug phone, hold the # key and plugin power, wait until <Mute> button turns of (approx 5 sec),

release the # key and type: 123456789*0#
The phone now performs a factory reset

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get the phone registered but I needed to update the Profile Rule to

http://18.222.93.124/Cisco/$PN/$MA.cfg

This allowed the phone to upgrade the configuration and then register. I think that it was on very old firmware as you mentioned.

rab.j.choudhry
Level 1
Level 1

When a 8800 phone is provisioned through activation code, it seems like the web interface is locked out. I'm trying to see what I can do about the following issue:

In Control Hub, I have a single user that I have configured Monitoring with a few Monitored Lines  and few Call Parking Extensions under User > Calling > Advanced > Monitoring. This user has three 8851 devices. Now, all three phones work perfectly with the single extension that is shared. We can hold/resume call from all phones. However, the monitoring list (Call Parking Extension or other Monitored Line) only show up on one 8851 phone. It does not show up on the other two phones. How can we ensure the other phones behave the same?

After the phone reboots you need to hit the skip button.  After that you will not be locked out of he went interface

vijaanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WARNING: THIS PROCEDURE DESCRIBES HOW TO MANUALLY RE-CONFIGURE A CISCO IP PHONES TO WORK ON THE CISCO WEBEX CALLING NETWORK. ONCE THIS PROCEDURE HAS BEEN COMPLETED, ANY PRIOR CONFIGURATION SETTINGS ON THE DEVICE WILL BE OVERRIDDEN, INCLUDING THE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD, AND THE DEVICE WILL ONLY BE USABLE ON THE CISCO WEBEX CALLING NETWORK. THE DEVICE MUST BE RETURNED TO THE CISCO FACTORY DEFAULT CONFIGURATION BEFORE IT CAN BE USED ON ANY NETWORK OTHER THAN CISCO WEBEX CALLING.

Notes: 1.

For Cisco 6841, 6851, 7811, 7821, 7832, 7841, 7861, 8811, 8841, 8845,8851, 8861, and 8865 IP Phones, please upgrade your phone to 11.0(0.7)MPP or higher before connecting to the Cisco Webex Calling Platform.2.For Cisco 6821 and 8832 IP Phones, please upgrade your phone to 11.2.3MPP or higher before connecting to the Cisco Webex Calling Platform.

Procedure:

1.Factory reset the phone before attempting to connect to the Cisco Webex Calling platform.

2.Press the setup button on the device

3.Press the down arrow till “Status” is selected and press the “Select” soft key.

4.Press the down arrow till “Network Status” is selected and press the “Select” softkey.

5.Record the IP address under the “IPv4 status” option.

6.From a browser on the same LAN, enter the IP address recorded in step 3

7.Click the “Admin Login” link in the top right of the page

8.Click the “advanced” link in the top right of the page

9.Click the “Voice” tab

10. Click the “Provisioning” tab

11. Enter the following link in the “Profile Rule” RegionDM URL

North America https://cisco.sipflash.com/  See ** if problems)

Europe https://cisco.broadcloud.eu/

Australia https://cisco.broadcloud.com.au/

** If you are having trouble flashing your device with these URLs, please contact your technical support team for assistance. (note the / at the end of the url, it is required)

12. Select “Submit All Changes” at the bottom of the page

13. Wait for about 10 minutes for the new configuration to download.

The phone will undergo a few reboot cycles for the complete configuration to download. If the station assignment process was properly completed prior to the reboot, the device will boot into a station-specific assigned/usable state. If not, the device will boot into a default unassigned/unusable state and will remain in this state until the site administrator has completed the station assignment process. If this occurs, contact your site administrator and request that station assignment is completed for the device in question.