Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
configure & troubleshoot anyconnect
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Registering Cisco 8800 Phones to Webex Calling (Broadcloud)

Hello,

I am working on my first deployment for Cisco Webex Calling. We have a number of 8851 phones we will be registering to the cloud. I have seen how to configure them in the Webex Control Hub, but I am a bit unsure about the best way to configure the phone settings so they connect to the cloud. The documentation and youtube videos I've found all seem to point to needing to login to the web page for each phone and set the provisioning URL. Is that the only way to do it? Does it come that way by default? I don't physically have a phone to test with yet so I'm kinda in the dark. Could someone please provide some insight?

Thank you,
James

5 REPLIES 5
Hall of Fame Guru

Re: Registering Cisco 8800 Phones to Webex Calling (Broadcloud)

Are the phones running 3PCC/MPP firmware?
Beginner

Yes, the phones were ordered with the MPP firmware.

Beginner

Bump
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

HI James,

When you create a new user/device in control hub WxCalling the backend system takes care of creating a zero touch provisioning (Cisco EDOS) entry. When the phone is factory reset (or fresh from the box) it will go thru it's boot cycle.

1. Acquire an IP address (DHCP)
  2. Process DHCP options (if applicable)
    1. Find bootstrap file to provision on the location provided by DHCP options)
    2. Find bootstrap file to provision on default GW
  3. Go to the Internet and connect to Cisco EDOS
    1. Identify itself using a MIC (manufacturer installed certificate) combined with MAC address, ..etc
    2. Get the redirect to WxCalling (sends the phone to: https://spa.sipflash.com/welcome.xml)
    3. Provision on WxCalling (including upgrade/downgrade if needed)
  4. Operational

You shouldn't need to upgrade or manual enter any information on the phone (exception might be a phone running a very old load)

Factory Reset Phone using phoneUI:

Settings > Device Administration > Factory Reset
Factory Reset "old skool":

Unplug phone, hold the # key and plugin power, wait until <Mute> button turns of (approx 5 sec),

release the # key and type: 123456789*0#
The phone now performs a factory reset

Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get the phone registered but I needed to update the Profile Rule to

http://18.222.93.124/Cisco/$PN/$MA.cfg

This allowed the phone to upgrade the configuration and then register. I think that it was on very old firmware as you mentioned.

CreatePlease to create content