Views
Helpful
Replies

Registration with SIP Provider

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are trying to implement SIP connectivity with ITSP. We have configured our CUBE with public IP address on the interface facing the ITSP.

Now the ITSP wants us to make sure that the port of origin does not change before reaching them (we are using port 5060 and does not understand how can the port change before reaching them) and wants us to send registration every x minutes so that if there is an update of the port of origin, the registrar would send the event with the new port and their border controller would send the signalling to this new port.

Can you please more light on this and how to achieve this on the CUBE.

Thanks,

Libin Benedict

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In your sip-ua config, configure the realm as "asterisk". The following is the challenge header being added to 401 by your ITSP -

WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5, realm="asterisk", nonce="0abe6e6e"

I see the logs as -
006303: May 15 07:37:06.276: //448935/000000000000/SIP/Error/sipSPIHandleAuthChallenge:
Error getting credentials
006304: May 15 07:37:06.276: //448935/000000000000/SIP/Error/ccsip_api_register_result_ind:
Message Code Class 4xx Method Code 100 received for REGISTER

I would suggest removing the sip-ua config completely and then re-adding it with the correct realm.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
From what I understand is that your ITSP might be looking for source and destination ports to both be 5060. The default IOS behavior is to use an ephemeral source port and a destination port of 5060 in case of SIP. You can move away from the default behavior by adding the following -

sip-ua
connection-reuse

For registration re-transmission in X time, you can use "timers register X" command under the sip-ua sub-config mode.

Hi Nipun,

Thanks for the response.

We use the connection-reuse command under sip-ua configuration which means it is sending on 5060 for both source and destination, right? And the registrar server and realm both should be pointed to the ITSP, correct? I am sorry, I am a bit confused here. 

Besides, timers register gives a maximum value of only 1000msec, but the ITSP is requesting to send every 3 minutes. Is it possible?

Regards,

Libin Benedict

Oh I get you. That is not configurable. The refresh time is set to 80% of the time received in 200 OK against the register. This value cannot be changed. AFAIK this is done to give time for any retries if needed.

Sorry for the delayed response. We got the response from ITSP only today.

This is what they have to say:

"OK, checking I see the register, I have reviewed the way to authenticate, after the register we sent the 401, so that your machine creates the MD5 password with the realm, we do not see the new request in MD5 for the ack."

Can you please advise what needs to be done here.

Our sip-ua configuration is as below:

sip-ua
credentials username XXXX password 7 XXX realm <sip provider IP>
authentication XXXX password 7 XXX realm <sip provider IP>
no remote-party-id
retry register 10
registrar 1 ipv4:<sip provider IP> expires 3600
registrar 2 ipv4:172.18.130.3 expires 3600
sip-server ipv4:<sip provider IP>
connection-reuse
host-registrar
presence enable

Thanks in advance,

Libin Benedict

Your config is good. IOS should generate a new Register post the challenge. Enable the following and take a log output -

debug ccsip message
debug ccsip error
debug ccsip non-call

Hi Nipun,

Please find herewith attached the requested logs taken for about 10-12 minutes with no calls made.

Please note that I have removed that registrar 2 under sip-ua as it is an internal IP.

Thanks,

Libin Benedict

In your sip-ua config, configure the realm as "asterisk". The following is the challenge header being added to 401 by your ITSP -

WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5, realm="asterisk", nonce="0abe6e6e"

I see the logs as -
006303: May 15 07:37:06.276: //448935/000000000000/SIP/Error/sipSPIHandleAuthChallenge:
Error getting credentials
006304: May 15 07:37:06.276: //448935/000000000000/SIP/Error/ccsip_api_register_result_ind:
Message Code Class 4xx Method Code 100 received for REGISTER

I would suggest removing the sip-ua config completely and then re-adding it with the correct realm.

Hi Nipun,

Thanks for the response.

After the modification in the realm, a new REGISTER is sent to ITSP for which we get the response as 403 FORBIDDEN.

Is it because the credentials are wrong?

Can you please advise.

Regards,

Libin Benedict

It is a possibility yes. You can try to reconfigure "sip-ua" just to ensure that the credentials are correct. If the issue persists, you will have to talk to your ITSP.
I am assuming that a device is properly NAT'ing your IP addresses.

Hi Nipun,

Afte we reconfigured the sip-ua, the realm received from ITSP got changed from what was there initially. Still, we got a 403 Forbidden. The ITSP fixed the issue from their end and the registration is working now.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Libin Benedict