Views
Helpful
Replies

Relicense a CUCM Server

xromelmx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have CUCM installed on a pair of BE7000 and I need help with re-licensing them. Loaded onto our CUCM, we have 9000 CUWL, 980 Essential, and 5 Enhanced licenses and for some reason the server is not utilizing the CUWL licenses. We are installing mostly 7841’s. From what I’ve been told and what I can see in my account, a CUWL license should be  able to be downgraded into the appropriate license that we need, does the CUCM do that on its own or is there a setting I would need to apply? If not, if I were to remove the licenses currently on the server and re-add them, would that mess up anything with the server or would the phones currently connected stop working? Also I can only license our server in the offline mode, so it has no connection to my smart account. 

CUCM 3.PNGCUCM 1.PNG

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What licensing method are you using with smart licensing?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

"we have 9000 CUWL, 980 Essential, and 5 Enhanced licenses and for some reason the server is not utilizing the CUWL licenses"

From my experience the "borrowing" and "loaning" between licence types doesn't show up on CUCM under System/Licensing/Licence Usage Report.  It just shows the minimum licences required, and does not indicate whether these are being fulfilled with those exact licences or whether their being borrowed from higher licence tiers.

So on that basis there doesn't look anything wrong with the CUCM output, I think the problem is getting it linked to your Smart Account.

Although I note all your devices are unassigned.  If you have users with multiple devices, setting the owner IDs properly will optimise your licence use.  For example if a user has two phones and they're both anonymous, it will look for two Enhanced, and that will be fulfilled by borrowing two CUWL.  Set them to the same owner ID and it will use only one.

Cuwl is for  user who has more than two devices.

CUCM use owner Id field on phone page to identify the number of device a user use. If you keep it anonymous and if a user use three devices, for CUCM it’s 3 device licenses.

if you assign same owner id for  all these three phones, CUCM will show required license as CUWL.

Response Signature