Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing VIC2-4FXO card from 2811

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Looking for best practice in removing 1 of 2  VIC2-4FXO cards from a 2811 used as a VG.  From the physical point of view, it would be a matter of powering down unit and safely disengaging the card.  I'd like to know if this should be done before removing configuration that makes reference to the card or can the configuration changes be made after the card removal without any problem.

For configuration changes... would a deletion of dial-peers referencing the ports on the card be sufficient?

If a best practice can be outlined, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!                   

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

George,

You have really answered this yourself.

1) Remove or repoint any dial peers that are pointing
at the voice ports in question.

2) Remove the voice ports from any trunk groups.

3) Remove any excess cabling to ports (time saver at router reload)

4) Save config ( copy run start)

5) Obtain downtime to power down router.

6) Power down router

7) Remove FXO card - Insert blanking plate

8) Re power router

9) Test

10) Hand service back to customer.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

George,

You have really answered this yourself.

1) Remove or repoint any dial peers that are pointing
at the voice ports in question.

2) Remove the voice ports from any trunk groups.

3) Remove any excess cabling to ports (time saver at router reload)

4) Save config ( copy run start)

5) Obtain downtime to power down router.

6) Power down router

7) Remove FXO card - Insert blanking plate

8) Re power router

9) Test

10) Hand service back to customer.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thank you Alex,

Just wanted to confirm the recommended method.  I've made assumptions in the past on what seemed simple procedure that ended up not correct.  I wanted to avoid another of these situations since I've never taken an FXO card out before.  The fact that you mentioned that the programming should precede the physical removal helped answer my overall question. 

Will the 'show run' list all programming that I need to be concerned with as far as clearing from the 2811?

Thank you again

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: