Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 2901 with 4321 - E1 voice - network-clock-participate command

chepeake78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am replacing a 2901 ISR that has a 'VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1' card in it with a 4321 ISR that has a 'NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 - T1/E1 Serial Module'

The E1 card is configured for voice and is connected to an ISDN10 PRI service. On the 2901 it has the following config:

card type e1 0 0

network-clock-participate wic 0
network-clock-select 1 E1 0/0/0

controller E1 0/0/0
pri-group timeslots 1-10,16

and all is working fine. I have the 4321 on my bench and am trying to configure it ready to replace the 2901 but the network-clock-participate command is not present. I found this article:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/NIM/software/configuration/guide/4gen-t1-e1-nim-guide.html#task_1074539

which states the architecture is different and it is recommended to issue the command 

no network-clock synchronization participate 0/1

It also mentions the corresponding commands going from 29xx to 4xxx routers as

Cisco 2900/3900 ISR

Cisco 4000 Series ISR Platform

network-clock-participate network-clock synchronization participate
network-clock select network-clock input-source

My question is what configuration should I be entering on the 4321 to match the 2901? I don't want to swap the router out without knowing the correct configuration first.

My telco is Telstra in Australia if that is relevant.

The 4321 is running:

sh ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.06.02
Cisco IOS Software [Everest], ISR Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.6.2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

ISR 4K has a little bit different config as compared to previous ISRs. In order to configure PRI on this ISR 4K you can use below commands and it would work fine. this is only for your reference and modify it accordingly
+++++
For PRI Config
++++++++
card type e1 0 1
isdn switch-type primary-net5
controller E1 0/1/0
framing no-crc4
pri-group timeslots 1-31
!
network-clock synchronization automatic
!
For hardware media resources use below
voice-card 0/1
dsp services dspfarm
no watchdog
!
Rest of the config will be same as you are using.

HTH

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
With ISR-4k, depending upon what XE code you are running you might not have the correct default configurations enabled. Ensure the following -

1. "network-clock synchronization automatic" command is configured.
2. "no network-clock synchronization participate <slot/subslot>" command is configured for every T1/E1 NIM.

The participate command should be visible through the "show run all" command. You might also want to check the following defect -

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb01800/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Based on your reply and the bug article, I have configured:

network-clock synchronization automatic
no network-clock synchronization participate 0/1

controller E1 0/1/0
clock source line primary
pri-group timeslots 1-10,16

I will test this and come back and mark as the solution if it works.

Appreciate your reply.

Your config looks good. You won’t need the “primary” parameter necessarily since you have a single circuit. Just a heads up.