Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset device from CUCM

Mike Hagans
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Curious, what does doing a 'Reset' via CUCM actually do? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If we a take example in case of Phone "Reset". When we do reset of the phone from CUCM phone page. it does a complete re-initialization of the phone where phone fetches its configure file again from the TFTP path. where in case of restart which does not happen if you restart the phone.

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey Mike,

Reset actually shuts the device down and brings it back up.

Below is the warning you get in Callmanager when you click reset.

"If a device is not registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you cannot reset or restart it. If a device is registered, to restart a device without shutting it down, click the Restart button. To shut down a device and bring it back up, click the Reset button. To return to the previous window without resetting/restarting the device, click Close."

Hope this helps,

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Got this update from one of the BU guys today :

Originally, the config files for SCCP devices contained very basic information about call processing servers and port number.  So a restart would just close the TCP connection and reconnect.  But now the config files contain a lot more config info, so the device will request the config file always before attempting to connect to UCM.

When you RESTART a phone, the endpoint will terminate its TCP connection to UCM, request and process it’s config file and reregister.  This process is quick and a phone will normally reconnect to UCM in 5-15 seconds.  In earlier versions (SCCP only), the restart process only took 1-2 seconds.

When you RESET a phone, the phone will terminate its TCP connection to UCM and then restart the network interface on the endpoint.  This will force the device to reDHCP as if the device was just plugged in.  After completing the network startup and DHCP request, the endpoint will request it’s configuration file, process it, then attempt to connect to UCM.  The reset process will take 1-3 minutes  to complete.   

When you do a APPLY CONFIG to a device, that will cause the device to request its config file, process the contents, then decide if it should restart or not.   So depending on what changed, the phone may or may not restart.  Personally, almost every change I make to and endpoint’s config will cause the endpoint to restart, so expect this to work like the restart operation.

Manish

Hi Guys, 

Just adding a issue on this subject here. I have a follow problem happening on my cluster:

I have a Publisher and 2 subscribers and also 2 TFTPs servers.

I have changed the CUCM Group by ordering the node as folows:

CUCM GROUP 01

Sub01

Sub02

Pub

CUCM GROUP 02

Sub02

Sub01

Pub

Than, I've reset all devices pool in order to updated all phones to register as configuration above by doing it in balance way. However, some phones still registered in the publisher and when I try to register then, nothing happen. Does anybody has faced this issue already?

Thanks in advance

MC

I have not seen this issue, no. But, I'd keep the publisher out of any call processing. I know one possibility could be that one of the other subs were not reachable... ? 

All nodes are reachable and working properly. I just have this behavior for some phones, to be more precisely, about  300 from 12k. I will contact TAC to get more support, thanks!

MC

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

Apart from the good point suggested by Charles [+5] , you can check the following link for difference between reset and restart

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm/cmereset.html

HTH

Manish

there may be a problem with certificates ITL

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If we a take example in case of Phone "Reset". When we do reset of the phone from CUCM phone page. it does a complete re-initialization of the phone where phone fetches its configure file again from the TFTP path. where in case of restart which does not happen if you restart the phone.

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Thanks all for the replies. I was looking for more of the technical reason behind what a reset actually did versus a restart. Sounds like the Reset will cause a device to look for it's initial config file, check for new firmware, etc.

Will this disconnect active calls or wait until they are finished?

Reset of a endpoint device waits for the call to end.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: