Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore configuration on CUCM from BACKUP

li007il89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could you please help me with a such question.

I've installed a new CUCM server ver. 12 and want to upload backup from my old server ver. 10.5.

Is it possible or I need to upgrade my old server from 10.5 to 12 and then make backup and upload it on a new server?

Does my backup file contain such information as ip address, hostname, certificates, administration users, security password? Could it change this parameters on my new server after backup upload?

Best regards,

Uladzimir Hryharovich

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A restore will only work on the exact same version from which it was taken.

The DRS guide explains the procedure, and what information needs to match for a backup to be restored, review the online documentation.

Yes, you can change whatever you want after you restore.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jaime for your quick answer

Do I need to have the same aplication user/password, OS admin user/password, security password on my new CUCM server as on my old one if I want to upload backup on it.

What could happen if I will have another OS admin username/ password on my new server.

Best regards,

Uladzimir

As I previously mentioned, the DRS guide lists ALL the requirements that need to be EXACTLY the same as they were in the server from which the backup was taken in order for the restore to be successful, have you reviewed the documentation??

HTH

java

Aeby Vinod
Level 3
Level 3
Not sure if you asked if the backup will overwrite the data, if so please note the below points as well, The hostname, IP address, DNS etc has to be the same on the 12.X cluster as the 10.5 one.

Be aware that DRS encryption depends on the cluster security password. If you have changed the security password between the backup and this restore, DRS will ask for the old security password. Therefore, to use such old backups, you must remember the old security password or take a backup immediately after the security password change/reset.

If you are restoring Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore

When you perform a DRS restore to migrate data to a new server, you must assign the new server the identical IP address and hostname that the old server used. Additionally, if DNS was configured when the backup was taken, then the same DNS configuration must be present prior to performing a restore.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

Regards,
Aeby

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby

Thanks Aeby for your explanation

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Instead of doing Fresh install consider doing PCD Migration which will allow you to migrate existing date onto new 12.0 system in single job.  With PCD you also have a choice of retaining existing IP/Hostnames or changing them.

Thank you Chris for your answer.

If I will use PCD for migration do I need to install a new cucm 12 server before migration or PCD do it by itself?

Best regards,

Vladimir

You only deploy the blank OVA that you need, PCD will use bootable media to perform the install and migrate the data.

HTH

java

Jaime,

Will PCD work with VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit license? I didn't find information about this type of esxi license in documentation.

Best regards,

Uladzimir

From http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Prime_Collaboration_FAQ#What_are_the_ESXi_licensing_requirements_for_PCD

What are the ESXi licensing requirements for PCD

Virtualization Software License Types
Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment is not compatible with all license types of VMware vSphere ESXi, as some of these licenses do not enable required VMware APIs.

The following are compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:

• Cisco UC Virtualization Foundation (appears as “Foundation Edition” in vSphere Client)
  • VMware vSphere Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Enterprise Plus Edition
  • Evaluation mode license

The following are NOT compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:

• Cisco UC Virtualization Hypervisor (appears as “Hypervisor Edition” in vSphere Client)
  • VMware vSphere Hypervisor Edition

However, you need to be aware of something, if you wish to use PCD in Evaluation mode license, you DO NOT have TAC support. If you want to try it in your lab, go ahead, but if you want Cisco support for PCD issues, you forcefully require any of the other two options.

Go to Prime Collaboration FAQ Content Table

You can always temporarily remove your ESXi License and run in Evaluation mode if your license is not allowing PCD API connections.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: