Views
Helpful
Replies

Restricted/Unrestricted warning on IP phone firmware upgrade

tca_arosen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all - 

I'm new to CUCM and I am installing my first phone firmware pack since we had our CUCM install done. Following instructions at http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074288/113778/cmterm-7821_7841_7861-sip.10-1-1SR2-readme.html. When I try to initiate the install, I get the attached message warning me about upgrading from a "Restricted" version to an "Unrestricted" version. Should I be getting this on a phone firmware file? Should this be ignored or did I do something wrong?

Thank you all for your help.

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I tried uploading this file on my lab 9.1.1 and 10.0 clusters and did not receive any such warnings. I would suggest opening a TAC case to troubleshoot it further.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This warning primarily indicates that once you install an unrestricted version of cucm software it will not allow you to go back to the restricted ( normal ) version. So, you need to choose the appropriate version ( restricted or unrestricted ) while upgrading.

HTH

Manish

Manish - 

Are there restricted/unrestricted versions of phone firmware. Is this just a generic warning that always comes up regardless of what is being installed?

Adam

Hi Adam

This is not an expected behavior or generic warning. This kind of warning only appears when you are upgrading your CUCM/CUC software from restricted to unrestricted or vice versa, but not when you are doing the installation of software cop file for a device. 

Can you please paste the following :

1. From the CLI of CUCM (ssh)

show version active

2. From the GUI

Screenshots of steps you are doing before you get to this warning.

Regards

Aditya

admin:show version active
Active Master Version: 9.1.2.11900-12
Active Version Installed Software Options:
cmterm-devicepack9.1.2.12033-1.cop

Screenshots are attached. After hitting "next" on the third screen, I get the popup from the previous message.

All Looks good.

Just to rule out the possibility of any  file corruption, would it be possible for you to download the cop file from cisco.com again. Try to install the new file and check if you are getting the same error.

Regards

Aditya

I tried a re-download, no luck. I did a reboot and also tried a different cop file and had the same error. Any ideas?

I tried uploading this file on my lab 9.1.1 and 10.0 clusters and did not receive any such warnings. I would suggest opening a TAC case to troubleshoot it further.

HTH

Manish

I have absolutely no idea what changed over the weekend, but I just tried again (one more time) before opening a TAC case and it went through without that warning message. Were the planets just misaligned for me last week? I am thoroughly confused.

Thanks everyone for the responses anyways. I guess I can move on to other issues now.

Adam

Thanks for updating the forum.

Manish

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Adam,

This seems unusual for a firmware upgrade. What version of CUCM are you running and are you trying to load the cop.sgn version of the firmware files?

Cheers!

Rob

Running 9.1.2, trying to load up cmterm-78xx.10-1-1SR2-1.cop.sgn.

Adam