Views
Helpful
Replies

Restricting concurrent calls to PSTN

Anfield01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently running CUCM Version 7.1 and I want to deploy a small number of phones (5 or 6) to a site, but want to make sure they can only ever have 3 concurrent outbound calls to the PSTN – can this be done some how?

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What protocol would you be using for the GWs?

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi, they're MGCP.

Then you need to configure locations and only set the amount of BW for 3 calls based on the codec you're using.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Payal Bhaduri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The concurrent calls can be resticted using location based call admission control

Locations CAC The locations feature provides CAC for centralized call-processing systems. A centralized system uses a single CCM cluster to control all of the locations. CCM's locations feature allows you to specify the maximum amount of bandwidth available for calls to and from each location, thereby limiting the number of active calls and preventing oversubscription of the bandwidth on the IP WAN links

dijohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it PRIs?.

Do you want to restrict inbound calls too? ie PSTN ----> GW ----> CUCM ----> IP Phone?.

If no, I don't think locations would work.!

Locations would restrict both Inbound and Outbound calls.!

HTH

PS:Rate Useful posts.!

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes it is PRI and no, I wouldnt want to restrict inbound calling so I assume locations wouldnt work.

Are there any other solutions?

I am sorry I don't think there are any methods using MGCP, but if you convert the gateway to H323 and on the outgoing POTS dial peer the maximum number of calls can be restricted using the MAX-CONN statement.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Please set the Bandwidth to 72kbps for this location in CUCM. May be this can help.

Hi Craig, thanks for the response. I'm not too familiar with H323 - can it restrict the maximum number of connections based on the calling number? So it recognises the extension which is placing the call?

Yes, the easiest method(off the top of my head) to restrict out going calls from a group of phones, is in CUCM I would create a new CSS 'LondonMaxCall2' that had all the 'Normal' patterns but pointed to a new Route List 'RL_LondonMaxCall2'.  Under the Route-List / Route-Group I would change the PSTN access number to match the restricted dial-peer so instead of the gateway getting 9XXXXXXXX and dropping then 9 before sending to to the POTS port it the gateway receives*9XXXXXXXX which matches the restricted dial-peer.

If this doesn't make sense or you need more advice on configuring the gateway or CUCM let me know.

Craig

PLEASE RATE HELPFUL POSTS!

Thanks Craig that's great info!