cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTMT Alert SeverityMatch : Critical pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information about user mlm AppID : Cisco Syslog Agent ClusterID :

Ronit Malhotra
Level 1
Level 1

SeverityMatch : Critical

MatchedEvent : Jan  2 07:22:47 CUC02 authpriv 2 sshd[29949]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information about user mlm AppID : Cisco Syslog Agent ClusterID : 

NodeID : CUC02

TimeStamp : Thu Jan 02 07:22:48 CST 2014.

I am recieving following alerts, anyway to stop it, or any impact

6 Replies 6

Hi,

The error is received if you log into DRS site, OS admin site or console via SSH using a wrong password.

Regards

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles dando click en las estrellas de mas abajo.

HI; I am find information whit respect to this error, can´t you helpme to referent this mensage

SyslogSeverityMatchFound events generated:  
SeverityMatch : Alert
MatchedEvent : Jul 29 15:21:50 cucm-pub-tri-qro-bansefi-0001 authpriv 1
sshd[1651]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown AppID : Cisco
Syslog Agent ClusterID :  
NodeID : cucm-pub-tri-qro-bansefi-0001

thanks

Greetings,

If the error is received when logging into DRS site - OS admin site or console via SSH using a wrong password, wouldn't you also receive the Authentication Failed syslog?  Unless these are reporting two separate log in errors from different sources.  I'm a bit confused.

MatchedEvent : Jan  2 07:22:47 CUC02 authpriv 2 sshd[29949]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information about user mlm AppID : Cisco Syslog Agent ClusterID : 

Number of AuthenticationFailed events exceeds configured threshold during configured interval of time 1 within 3 minutes
 on cluster StandAloneCluster.

There are 2 AuthenticationFailed events (up to 30) received during the monitoring interval

Any insight is greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance,

D

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this alert is for security. pam_succeed_if is designed for suceed or failed authentication and this  alert is a warning that a user tried to login to SSH with invalid credential.

Do you get this alert everyday or two? how frequent you are getting this ? 

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

David Perez
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to check with others in I.T. to see if there are any programs on the network that attempt to sign into your systems for security purposes.

I get this alert every other day. It is done by our network / security team’s software. The software attempts to login to the systems using common passwords.

Is there any way to track the ip address that these attempts were made from or only the user ID that was attempted?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: