Views
Helpful
Replies

RTP port range

dave-mith
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

do I need to open the full UDP port range, 16384 - 32767 does CM and phones use every port in this range or could I reduce it to say the first 500 , does it look for the first open port?

whats the impact of reducing this?

14 Replies 14

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The phone randomly selects a port from the range.

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's very dependant on the phone/app you use I think.

Some devs seem to pick a low port all the time, some pick different.

Save yourself a lot of pain, and open them all - better than spending all your time troubleshooting random failures...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I have modified the SIP profile for Jabber to use only 24 port instead of 32000 ports and I test was OK, my question there are any problem on reducing the RTP range?

Yes as you are limiting the number of concurrent calls. Unlike Expressway,
multiplexing can't be done naively by Jabber

Do you mean concurrent calls from same devise OR from all devices? And What do you mean by multiplexing can't be done naively by Jabber

>From all the devices. These ports will be allocated for all calls managed
by CUCM

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can open up the complete range on your firewall or if inspection is enabled then automatic udp pin holing does help as well.
Do remember that if you have ISR-4k, the UDP port range has been increased. 8000 - 48198 is the range supported by ISR-4k and also ASR routers.

I have similar question.

Voice Gateway ISR4xxx

-> RTP Ports 8000 to 48200

VoIp Provider, Patton Smartnode 5300

-> RTP Ports 6000 to 9999

The ports aren’t completly overlapping.

Does it work? Must be changed the port range on one side (Gateway or ISP) to get an 100% overlapping?

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It should not matter. What your VoIP provider uses for RTP does not need to be part of what IOS supports. Example, let say your ISP want to receive RTP on port 6001. The router will just stream the RTP to that port. Similarly, if the IOS GW wants to receive RTP on port 41000, it will tell the ITSP in the SDP and it should just send the RTP stream to that port.

But if I have a firewall between the two devices (placed in different subnet). I must create a policy for RTP which one include the whole range:

To ISP:

- SIP = 5060

- RTP = 6000 to 48200

To GW:

- SIP = 5060

- RTP = 6000 to 48200

BR, Tifoso

checking to see if you got an answer to your last quesiton.

Yes, a firewall rule for the entire RTP range has to be created to ensure that packets to and from the SP are not dropped.

Hi guys 

quick question is it mandatory to open all RTP range ports from 16384 to 32766 from the firewall is there anyway to force telepresence end points to use lower range of ports than that??