cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

safe to revert from a cucm snapshot on ucs?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i discovered that my cucm is running on a snapshot , my manager assked me to delete the snap shot , the problem is im afraid if a revert all the phone and configuration of the cucm would be lost since the snapshot was created? can i make a snapshot my main vm image??? basically how can i keep the changes made to the snapshot of the cucm and delete it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

VMware 101:

'delete' a snapshot means delete that point-in-time as a place you can go back to. It will not 'go back' to the snapshot, it will leave the VM in the current state.

'revert to' snapshot goes back to the old state at the point the snapshot was taken.

So delete it, but do so during off-peak hours as it will probably cause some slowdown whilst the disk activity is high. 

Also note that Cisco don't like you snapshotting UC VMs.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

It needs to be mentioned that Snapshots are not supported on CUCM as per:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

and they are known to cause many issues (performance crashes).

If you already have snapshot it needs to be removed as you've mentioned, but this needs to be done out of working hours, as I've seen the scenarios where adding removing snapshots on CUCM as causing some services to core dump, especially sensitive services like Call Manager service or CTI Manager service

Leszek

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

VMware 101:

'delete' a snapshot means delete that point-in-time as a place you can go back to. It will not 'go back' to the snapshot, it will leave the VM in the current state.

'revert to' snapshot goes back to the old state at the point the snapshot was taken.

So delete it, but do so during off-peak hours as it will probably cause some slowdown whilst the disk activity is high. 

Also note that Cisco don't like you snapshotting UC VMs.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

so to double check if i press "revert to current snapshot" means i will revert the vm "cucm" to the point in time the snap shot was created? and deleting snapshot will not affect my current running vm "cucm" in any way ? if so do i need to turn off my cucm when i delete the snapshot or i can do it so while it is on?

It needs to be mentioned that Snapshots are not supported on CUCM as per:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

and they are known to cause many issues (performance crashes).

If you already have snapshot it needs to be removed as you've mentioned, but this needs to be done out of working hours, as I've seen the scenarios where adding removing snapshots on CUCM as causing some services to core dump, especially sensitive services like Call Manager service or CTI Manager service

Leszek

so you advice to shut down the cucm when i delete the snapshot?

No need to shutdown. But make sure you delete is during maintenance window.

Leszek

Hi,

This is the specific doc that talks about how to check for snapshots in vSphere Client for Cisco Unified Communications (UC) applications and their impact on UC apps

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116459-technote-product-00.html

HTH

Manish