Views
Helpful
Replies

SCCP Media (RTP) Port Customization

Mohamad Anees C
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way to customize media (rtp) ports used for SCCP endpoints in CUCM 11.5.x. I know we can customize the media ports for SIP devices under the SIP profile. Similar to that is there any option for SCCP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Confirmed: “...SCCP endpoints use a non-configurable hard-coded range of 16384 to 32767 for voice-only calls.”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/cac.html

Also, be careful about changing the port range for SIP phones if you are using multicast music on hold or anything that invokes media using the XML SDK (e.g. paging). The port range is enforced on the source port of transmitted streams AND the local destination port of received streams. This isn’t a problem for a normal call because the phone gets to choose port(s) within the defined range in it’s SDP offer; however, for at least the two use cases I just cited the phone doesn’t get to choose. It’s told what port to open for receiving RTP by CUCM or the XML SDK application server. The phone will NOT use a port outside the defined range - you'll see an error in the console log and the attempted operation (e.g. playing multicast MOH) will fail.

I unsuccessfully tried to make the case that this is undesirable behavior but the BU declared it working as designed. My view was the reason for changing the port range was QoS classification and marking as suggested in the PA and SRND. From that viewpoint it doesn't matter what port the phone is receiving media on, only what the phone sources it from. Your reason actually gives their position merit: firewall rules within the enterprise would care about both directions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I don't think there is a way to do that. Why are you trying to do this ?

Thanks for the reply.
Customer doesnt want to open the complete range (16000 to 32000) between voice vlan and data vlan. They have deployed jabber for windows and that needs to communicate with sccp phones.

Confirmed: “...SCCP endpoints use a non-configurable hard-coded range of 16384 to 32767 for voice-only calls.”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/cac.html

Also, be careful about changing the port range for SIP phones if you are using multicast music on hold or anything that invokes media using the XML SDK (e.g. paging). The port range is enforced on the source port of transmitted streams AND the local destination port of received streams. This isn’t a problem for a normal call because the phone gets to choose port(s) within the defined range in it’s SDP offer; however, for at least the two use cases I just cited the phone doesn’t get to choose. It’s told what port to open for receiving RTP by CUCM or the XML SDK application server. The phone will NOT use a port outside the defined range - you'll see an error in the console log and the attempted operation (e.g. playing multicast MOH) will fail.

I unsuccessfully tried to make the case that this is undesirable behavior but the BU declared it working as designed. My view was the reason for changing the port range was QoS classification and marking as suggested in the PA and SRND. From that viewpoint it doesn't matter what port the phone is receiving media on, only what the phone sources it from. Your reason actually gives their position merit: firewall rules within the enterprise would care about both directions.

Thank you so much Jonathan

Hi @Mohamad Anees C

*******  I've just seen that you are using CUCM not CME --- SORRY  ******

try to configure rtp-port range command on voice service voip

[.......]

voice service voip

rtp-port range 16384 17000 

[.......]

*******  I've just seen that you are using CUCM not CME --- SORRY  ******

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.