cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

scripting skills ??

Iluvteak
Level 1
Level 1

I work with CUCM and keep seeing job requirements wanting 'scripting' experience.     I've asked a few people what they use scripting for in CUCM and nobody has a good answer.    FYI - my current team does no scripting so I don't quite get it.     Can I get some examples of how you use scripting.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Usually it would be used for device creation or deletion. But it could be used for any configuration, it just depends on the will of the person or team that creates the script.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

For one it could be used for creating automation or configuration services that consume the available APIs.

Response Signature

So it sounds like scripting is used for creating devices - ie phones, Jabber, etc ?   That's the only repetitive task I can think of in CUCM.    

Usually it would be used for device creation or deletion. But it could be used for any configuration, it just depends on the will of the person or team that creates the script.

Response Signature

Hi

Scripting means  automate repetitive task.  This goes to any area and anything. If you need to add information manually on the device and you are able to do this using a script, then, you can do it faster, theorically.  And I say theorically because sometimes is easier to add manually then wirte down a script. 

Most of company I worked for, script does not work. You are not allowed to run script on your machine and you need to access the device from some VDI desktop from where you can not run script either.

Yes I've had the same experience, the provisioning automation takes as much effort as building the device manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: