Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting a UCS for CUCM deployment

khanfawaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to deploy CUCM (5 nodes), Unity Connection (1 Pair) and Unified Presence server (1 Pair) in a virtualised environment. Approximately 5000 users and 10000 end devices. How do I select a UCS server type and model?

Thank you,

Fawaz

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You work out how many CPUs and how much memory/disk each VM needs (CUCM may need 2 or 4 procs depending on node size for example).

Then you add that up.

And select a UCS platform that has the appropriate CPU/memory count and disk space etc.

Google UC on UCS to get the Cisco wiki with all the design information.

The only non-intuitive one is Unity Conn - you need to leave 1 CPU core spare on any host that runs this app, for reasons I don't pretend to understand properly :-)

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Ah yes... good call (+5)

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Actually, with CUC 10.5(2) and ESXi 5.5, you no longer need that extra core, and there's a really good white paper from ESXi and real time applications that addressed the why for it, James Arias posted it in a thread in the partner community just before ESXi 5.x was released.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

[+5] to Jaime.

I was refering  the thread where in this was mentioned.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12023671/no-cpu-core-reserved-esxi-scheduler

can u please share the thread of James Arias?

regds,

aman

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/38376

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Very useful Jaime; thanks :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: