Views
Helpful
Replies

Send AXL message to CCUM 6.0 to change all phones's dns server info

lmsmartins
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Does anyone know a script (C#, Java or PHP) that I can use to send an AXL message to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 to modify and propagate a new dns server ip address to all the phones conected to the communications manager?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The question is how do the phones get IP addresses? Thats the same way you will assign DNS to th phones. There is no other way to do it. You cant use AXL to assing DNS to phones. If the customer wants DNS ips on their phones, thn they need to add it to the DHCP scope, other wise let them know there is no other way to do it. Sometimes we need to educate the customer..This is one of those times

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

View solution in original post

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

AXL is just for working with the CUCM database. The phone's DNS settings are not stored in the CUCM DB. (You can't seem them via CCMADMIN, for example)

You can use things like SNMP to interogate the phones for information. There is also a HTTP/XML interface to the phones too. I don't know if that allows updates. But if you're in such a locked down environment that DHCP isn't allowed, then you've probably had the phones web server disabled anyway.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Er, isn't this supplied to the phones via DHCP ??

GTG

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gordon is spot on! All IP related parameters are obtained either via DHCP or static assignment. DNS addresses should be part of the DHCP scope.

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, the customer doesn't allow us to use any DHCP servers to do that.

I've seen some ways to request information from the CCUM regarding the cisco phones conected to it

So isn't there any way to modify the dns server ip address in all the cisco phones using a AXL message? Or using any other method besides having a dhcp server in the network?

Thank you.

The question is how do the phones get IP addresses? Thats the same way you will assign DNS to th phones. There is no other way to do it. You cant use AXL to assing DNS to phones. If the customer wants DNS ips on their phones, thn they need to add it to the DHCP scope, other wise let them know there is no other way to do it. Sometimes we need to educate the customer..This is one of those times

The HTTP interface for a cisco phone only shows the device's information (network configuration, statistics and logs), but it doesn't allow me to modify any information upon login like the ccum does.

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

AXL is just for working with the CUCM database. The phone's DNS settings are not stored in the CUCM DB. (You can't seem them via CCMADMIN, for example)

You can use things like SNMP to interogate the phones for information. There is also a HTTP/XML interface to the phones too. I don't know if that allows updates. But if you're in such a locked down environment that DHCP isn't allowed, then you've probably had the phones web server disabled anyway.

GTG

lmsmartins
Level 1
Level 1

Yes they want to update the new ip info in all the cisco phones without using a dhcp server.

Thank you very much for your help !

lmsmartins
Level 1
Level 1

Do you know if there's any way to get a phone's ip address information by sending an AXL message to the CCUM 6.0 with the phone's extension number?

Thank you.

You can't get a phone's IP Address from AXL. You have to use a seperate API called RIS (Real-time information) But this requires the device name of the phone. It can't use a phone number.

So you have to use AXL to get the device(s) associated with a phone number, then use RIS to get the IP address of the devices.

GTG

Can you please provide me an example on how to do that?

Thank you

Which bit ?

The AXL query to get device from phone number, or the RIS bit to get IP address from device name ? (or both..?)

GTG

On both please.

Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate.

And how much are you paying me to write your application

There are several ways to skin the AXL side of things, but it's actually quite a trivial thing to do. You really need to go and read the AXL docs. The AXL SDK includes some sample code on how to make a basic AXL call, and in this case, that is all you need.

For the RIS part, this is a standard question people ask, and there is sample code in the RIS SDK to do exactly this.

You probably want to look to take this to the developer forums. However, they do tend to be a bit quieter than over here...

GTG

Ok, thank you very much for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: