Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Here is something I would like to know:

- I have a good backup from callmanager

- The MCS server is defect, so I have a new one

- I have the new licenses that match the new MAC address

- I have all passwords except for the Security Password

According to the "replacement server" documentation you must enter identical passwords and account IDs when you configure the replacement server.

These accounts are:

Administrator ID / Administrator Password

Application User Name / Application User Password

Security Password

Yet, you don't have the security password.

Is there a way to make this work?

Till now this is a thought 'experiment' but as we all know it can become reality one day

Thanks,

Jan

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need the security passphrase. In fact, current versions encrypt the DRS backup file using the security passphrase so it would be competely worthless if you don't know it.

If you can't make the existing server boot and the replacement server is the same model, you can try to put the existing hard drives in the new chassis. This is not a supported path but may be your only option if you in effect have no backup. Once the system is up you could change the passphrase, take a new backup, and then do a clean install on the new drives if you wanted.

PS- Be careful to read the RAID controller documentation if this is IBM hardware. It does dangerous things like creating new arrays by default when it detects a new disk and could easily wipe your drives on you.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jan,

I'm going with Jonathan here my friend +5 "J"

I have heard that pre 7.1(5) CUCM versions could be re-built

with a mis-matched Security password but I have never verified

this behavior. And like Jonathan nicely noted the newest versions

use an encrypted password for the DRS backup/restore so guard these like gold.

Cheers!

Rob

Jonathan and Rob Thank you very much for your answers.

So in case you don't know the security password, you have to reset the security password ASAP!

The security password is only related to callmanager pub and subs?

In other words if I change the security passwords on pub and subs, I won't have problems with other products of Cisco like Unity, UCCX, etc?

Thank you both,

Jan

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jan,

Resetting this Password will not have any effect on the other systems/services I would try to do

this ASAP.

Recovering Administrator and Security Passwords

If you lose the administrator password or security password, use the following procedure to reset these passwords.

To perform the password recovery process, you must be connected to the system through the system console, that is, you must have a keyboard and monitor connected to the server. You cannot recover a password when connected to the system through a secure shell session.
CautionThe security password on all nodes in a cluster must match. Change the security password on all machines, or the cluster nodes will not communicate.
CautionYou must reset each server in a cluster after you change its security password. Failure to reboot the servers (nodes) causes system service problems and problems with the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration windows on the subscriber servers.
Note:During this procedure, you must remove and then insert a valid CD or DVD in the disk drive to prove that you have physical access to the system.

Procedure
Step 1- Log in to the system with the following username and password:
•Username: pwrecovery
•Password: pwreset

The Welcome to platform password reset window displays.
Step 2 - Press any key to continue.

Step 3 - If you have a CD or DVD in the disk drive, remove it now.

Step 4 - Press any key to continue.
The system tests to ensure that you have removed the CD or DVD from the disk drive.

Step 5 - Insert a valid CD or DVD into the disk drive.
Note: For this test, you must use a data CD, not a music CD.
The system tests to ensure that you have inserted the disk.

Step 6 - After the system verifies that you have inserted the disk, you get prompted to enter one of the following options to continue:
•Enter a to reset the administrator password.
•Enter s to reset the security password.
•Enter q to quit.

Step 7 - Enter a new password of the type that you chose.

Step 8 - Reenter the new password.

The password must contain at least 6 characters. The system checks the new password for strength. If the password does not pass the strength check, you get prompted to enter a new password.

Step 9 - After the system verifies the strength of the new password, the password gets reset, and you get prompted to press any key to exit the password reset utility.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_0_1/cucos/iptp701.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the information Rob!

Jan

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Jan,

You are most welcome my friend

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: