cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set Up 7962 SIP Without Cisco System

bud_winkler
Level 1
Level 1

I have purchased a Cisco 7962 telephone. It is set up with SIP firmware, the os load is onu42.9-0-3TH1-22.sbn.

I have a tftp server running on my network and I just want to configure this phone to either connect to my yeastar ip pbx system or directly to voip.ms and I am struggling with where to start. When I go into the sip settings in the phone there is no way to add my server ip, extension, and username. I understand I need a config file with the phones mac address on my TFTP server to load the phone, but I dont know what other files I need on the tftp server or where to begin.

If anyone could provide some step by step guidance I would be most appreciative.

Thank you

12 Replies 12

Are you running a model that supports Third Party Call Control?  3PCC, if not, you cannot to my knowledge.  Any phone that is configured to connect to a CUCM cannot then be refitted to connect to a different vendor.  Also, if you take a 3PCC phone and "upgrade" it with a CUCM software image, you cannot revert it.

HTH

Brad

3PCC models only exist for the 78xx and 88xx series.

And it's no longer possible to change between 3PCC and enterprise FW, that option has been removed for some time. You need to make sure you buy the model/PN you need.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can, but it means everything will need to be configured via the configuration files you will need to provide to the phone, as if it was registering to a Cisco call control, but manually adjusting the parameters for your call control.

There are plenty of threads at CSC with similar questions on registering devices to 3rd party PBX, as well as references in other public forums you can use.

Search for Leo Laohoo at CSC and you'll find many threads in which he has replied on this topic.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java- 

I really appreciate the reply.   

What firmware do I ideally want on the phone ?   I understand it’s already configured for SIP but which firmware version is going to allow me to register to a 3rd party pbx ?

What I really don’t understand is which files I need to put on the tftp server and in what order.

I will search for Mr. Laohoos threads and see if I can figure this out.

Thanks again  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@bud_winkler wrote:

42.9-0-3TH1-22.sbn.

Loaded with Enterprise firmware, Cisco phones can be made to work with non-Cisco call managers, however, it is not as easy as 1-2-3.  It takes a lot of patience to get it going for the first time. 

Just to start, you'll need to get the following: 

1. A working phone template/configuration file called SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml;
  2. SIP firmware for the phone (preferably version 9.X and later); 
  3. TFTP server;
  4. DHCP Option 150; and
  5. Dialplan file

You will also need to ask the voice service provider if they support NAT and ALG.  If they don't then you'll need to find a way to disable either one on your router. 

Hope this helps.  

Thank you.   I am getting somewhere now.  

On the phone I have the alternate tftp server set to the IP address of my PC.   

On the PC I am running tftp64.   I have a folder on the PC with 

dialplan.xml

cmterm-7942_7962-sip.9-4-2SR3-1.k3.cop.sgn

SEP0C85253E148F.cnf

Is there anything else I need to do ?    Do I just reboot the phone and it will pickup the files ? 

Thanks again.  

@bud_winkler wrote:

cmterm-7942_7962-sip.9-4-2SR3-1.k3.cop.sgn

This file is not enough.  What about the rest of the files that came with the ZIP file?  

Read the Release Notes.  There are certain HW revisions which does not allow direct upgrade from 8.X to 9.X without an intermediate "jump".

@bud_winkler wrote:

SEP0C85253E148F.cnf 

Filename extension is incorrect.  It should be SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml.

Alright so I now have all the necessary files in the TFTP location.    The TFTP server is running on the PC.   I did a factory reset on the 7962 phone and when it is booting up I get an "upgrading" message, but I dont see any activity on the TFTP server.....  

@bud_winkler wrote:

when it is booting up I get an "upgrading" message, but I dont see any activity on the TFTP server.....  

So the TFTP server isn't even saying it's downloading the config file?

Go to the phone's Status messages and see what the phone is doing (or not).

When the phone boots up it says "upgrading" with the MAC address shown.   Then the cisco logo comes up with a dot within a circle.    The phone appears to stop at this point.  

@bud_winkler wrote:

a dot within a circle.

Is the phone even getting a valid IP address?
Is DHCP Option 150 pointing to the TFTP server?

I am not sure how I can tell.... all I see on the telephone now is the Cisco logo and this circle with a dot in the middle like a bullseye 

Thanks for all your help 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: