cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

setting up a cucm server and adding phones

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys i got my cucm server up and running and registered the phone Mac in add device in my cucm but my phone just sits in the upgrading screen and doesn't get any farther than that, Any ideas as to  what i am doing wrong? Should i just be able to add a device and it registers or is there more that i have to do, i just wana get the phone to register atleast

12 Replies 12

rm760
Level 4
Level 4

What version CUCM?  There are phone security certificates in version 8.X and later.  If this phone was connected to another CUCM version 8.x or later, you will need to clear the old security certificate. 

cucm 7.1 the phone is a 7965 

Are the CUCM and TFTP services running??

Does the phone has valid IP configuration to register to the CUCM??

If using hostname, do you have proper DNS resolution??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Please check firmware on IP Phone and compatibility with Call Manager

Try to reset network settings

not quite sure how i do that

ok new update, I got a 7960 phone to come online but the 7965 will not register

all i did as far as registering the phone is go into the device>phone tab> add phone

Entered the mac address and kept all the configs default

does the cucm need a router on the network if i am just connecting a phone to it to learn? also if it does need a router do i need to add a gateway?

Do you have general, and solid, basic networking skills???

Routers, switches, vlans, etc????

If not, you probably want to start off with that, as CUCM goes on top of the basic network you would have already in place.

Simply put, consider the ip phone the same as a PC, only you'll also add option 150 via DHCP, aside from that, the same basic networking config you would use for a PC, you need for a phone, and same basic network to connect from IP A to IP B, A being the phone and B the CUCM server.

HTH

java

i took basic switching and routing in school, We touched a slight bit on phones but only set up a router and basic vlan on a switch, Never touched the cucm. I thought that the router can provide dhcp,  Do i need a DHCP and FTP server ?

Then you probably want to start off on your basic routing and switching skill before moving on to CUCM.

DHCP is not mandatory, you can simply hardcode the settings for the network in the phone, BUT doing that assumes you perfectly know what IP config (IP, subnet mask, default GW and TFTP) you're going to configure on the phone to match the config in the switch. Again, same thing you would do with any PC, just + the TFTP.

CUCM, exact same thing, you need to know what IP config it has to match it in the switch port. Assuming they're both in the same subnet, as you probably want to for a basic test, you just need to properly configure the switch for them to communicate.

And no one ever said anything about FTP, if anything TFTP and the CUCM server does that.

HTH

java

ok i keep reading things about the phone having to pull from a tftp server, I set the router and switch up from a cisco voice lab manual and now the phone is advancing to a configuring CM list but is stuck at this screen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: