cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up wifi on an 8861

GrumbleShark
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a handful of 8861 phones that I want to deploy as wireless endpoints.  I've also got a huge wireless key.  Is there an easy way to enter wireless keys on the 8861 model phone?  I can get to the phone's IP, and see the read only web page.  On the 7921 I could then enter a WEP key here.  This doesn't seem to be the case with the 8861.

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi try this link go to Set Up Wireless LAN from Phone -- it states you can login to the ssid from the phone

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8811-8841_chapter_011.html#P881_TK_S61B1410_00

Thanks Mark.

I should have said that I'm able to connect to the wifi by entering the SSID, and key into the phone keypad.  My problem is that my wireless key is 64 characters long, and almost impossible to successfully enter on the first try.  

I'm hoping that there is a way to browse the phone admin page from my desktop, and enter the key there, just like you can do with 7921 phone.

I haven't had a chance to play with this phone but I think here's how it's done: 

1.  The phone comes with a configuration to search for a default SSID, SSID of "cisco" with open authentication. 

2.  Therefore create a similar SSID on the WLAN to enable the phone to get a legitimate IP address. 

3.  Configure DHCP Option 150 so the phone can pull the correct SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file which contains the correct SSID & password.  

The phone has both wired and wireless connections, so I can just hop onto the network using the wired connection - I'm not sure that a new SSID is needed.

Do you have any more information about including the SSID in the in the phone's XML file?  I did a quick search and didn't find any information on this. 

Hi Terry.

I have the same need.  Did you figure out the solution to deploy SSID in a bulk edit way?

Thanks

-Dave

Nope.  The only way I've been able to enter wireless key into an 8861 is by using the keypad on the phone. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: