SF300-48P 48-port 10/100 PoE Managed Switch w/Gig Uplinks

okoroji80
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All ,

I will need your advice in the use of :

SRW248G4P-K9-EU   

with

C2951-CME-SRST/K9 in the deployment of IP Telephony.

is there any known issue with using this switch for IP Telephony ?

jude

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My friend Paolo is correct that Catalyst is a better more capable and reliable switch.  If you have the option and the budget go Catalyst every time.

However, SF300 switches do support CDP and have fully documented and supported CLI interface.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/CLI_Nikola300_1.1.pdf

To be fair, I think Catalyst has its own crappy web GUI, right?

I think there may be confusion between SXE20X0 (cisco by linksys) switches with these SX200/SX300/SX500

One limitation could be support if you are concerned about that.  Catalyst is supported by TAC, but SF300 would be supported by the small business group.

jude, you will need to be more specific about what type of limitations you are concerned with if you want to get any good advice from people on the forum.   

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Can you be more specific what type of issues you would be concerned with?

Here is the data sheet that tells you everything about the switch and its abilities:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10898/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

Seems to me it should work fine for most IPT applications.

Well the environment where the device is to be deployed needs just the IP Telephony to be able to communicate between sites.

what i want to know is the limitations associated with this type of Setup.

Jude.

Many limitations, no CDP support, poor GUI, limited and undocumented CLI, unstable software, just to name a few.ggg

All in all if you want sure success in your projects, only use Catalyst switches.

My friend Paolo is correct that Catalyst is a better more capable and reliable switch.  If you have the option and the budget go Catalyst every time.

However, SF300 switches do support CDP and have fully documented and supported CLI interface.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/CLI_Nikola300_1.1.pdf

To be fair, I think Catalyst has its own crappy web GUI, right?

I think there may be confusion between SXE20X0 (cisco by linksys) switches with these SX200/SX300/SX500

One limitation could be support if you are concerned about that.  Catalyst is supported by TAC, but SF300 would be supported by the small business group.

jude, you will need to be more specific about what type of limitations you are concerned with if you want to get any good advice from people on the forum.   

Brandon, thank for clarifying this. You are correct, I was confusing the older models with these new series.

I can certainly believe that they  are a lot better.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have to disagree for once with my friend Brandon.

You have a nice ISR G2 router, keep your architecture first class, and use a 2960 Poe switch of Enterprise class, instead of small business products, that are aimed to a different, less demanding market.