Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutdown Procedure for UCS Applications

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

When i shutdown the applications (Presence, CUCM, CUC) on UCS, equal the MCS procedure.

My doubt is, inside CIMC i have two Options:

Power Off Server

Shutdown Server

What option should i choose?

Regards

Leonardo Santana       

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Just to clarify in case Ive misunderstood, ordinarily you should shutdown the VM gracefully on UCS as you would on any MCS platform before shutting down or powering down the server. The powering or shutting down of the server is specifically regarding the ESXi host, you can power-off through vSphere once all hosts have been shutdown and the host is in maintenance mode. Alternatively, and is what I deploy for other customers is startup and shutdown options for each VM within vSphere, so that if the ESXi host is powered down by the customer each guest OS has ample time to shutdown gracefully before the server is shutdown.

Powering down the server other than via the CIMC causes the server to remain in the standby state until the CIMC finishes initialising. This is not the case if you shutdown the server gracefully and then power-off the server via the CIMC, the server remains in the standby state until you power-on via the CIMC again. Shutting down the EXSi through vSphere will cause the server to also go into the standby state, indicating the amber power led on the display. This will indicate that the server is ready to then power-off.

Here is the link for the CLI guide, refer to the shutting down and powering off/on:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/1.4.1/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_141_chapter_011.html#task_B328632879DE4ABDB5CBF6F92BDC5464

Regards
Allan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Yes Allan i shutdown the VM as an MCS platform before shutting down the server., and i enter in CMC to power off the server!

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Leonardo,

I thought you might want to see this as well

CSCtw44718 - Need Shut down and power on procedure for CUCM in a virtualized config

Description

Symptom:
Current documentation for CUCM shutdown is only for CUCM installed directly on Server (Non-virtualized)
Two different TAC teams required to provide makeshift procedures to shut down server running CUCM on UCS.
Conditions:
Customer needs to fully power down then power back up CUCM on UCS in virtualized environment
Workaround:
Following makeshift steps provided, but from TAC via case, not formal Cisco docmentation:
From CUCM team:
1. First take the backup of the CUCM database.
2.       Then shutdown the Publisher first followed by the Subscribers from
the CUCM cli mode using the command "utils system shutdown"
3.       When the power is restored, someone at the building has to
physically turn on the CUCM server.
From Server virtualization team:
1. Shut down the Virtual machine after CUCM is shutdown
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=1014165
2. Shut down the ESXi host:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=1013193

The you can proceed to shut down the UCS server:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C210M1/instal
l/replace.html#wp1053068

Once you are ready to power on:
Either press the power button on the ucs server, or if you have CIMC
access, from the summary page, select Power on server.
Once the server is up (can launch KVM to monitor boot), log into Vsphere
and start the guests if they do not start automatically on boot.

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen