Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Way to Upgrade a batch of User's Phones

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have about 170 Cisco 7940 IP phones that I am replacing with Cisco 8851s. We are on CUCM  9.1.2.14900-14.  I've done some reading on importing batches of phones using the BAT.  But it seems like a lot of work just to create the template to import the phones and I feel like I may as well just enter them in manually, which is also a lot of work.

I'm looking for a way to Export everyone I have using a 7940, and then be able to just add their new 8851 MAC address and then import the new list with the new 8851 mac address and still have it import all of the user's settings, like their extension, their partition, CSS, Line Displays.

I currently have all 7940s exported and moved over to an excel spreadsheet.  I used the BAT to  export it the 7940s two times, once using Specific Details, once with All Details.

Is there anyone out there who has ever been tasked with upgrading a batch of users with a new model phone?  How did you go about getting taken care of?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See this

https://www.unifiedfx.com/products/unifiedfx-migrationfx

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Andrew West
Level 4
Level 4

GOing through BAT is something that will save you large amounts of time if you dont want to go the external application route. 

Which parts of it seem like a lot of work to you?

I think the problem I was having with it was that i chose the wrong tab in the BAT spreadsheet.  I attempted with the Phone Migration tab today and it worked like a charm.  Only issue I had was i didn't realize it was going to delete the old phones from CM, which makes perfect sense that it did.  The new phones are still in boxes and haven't been deployed yet.  But luckily I only did a small batch of them as a test, I had to go recreate the old ones so they can use them until I can get the new ones out.

Thanks!

Thank you for your input.  I think the confusion for me was that i chose the wrong tab in the BAT spreadsheet.  I used Migrate Phone tab this time and it worked like a charm.  The only issue I had was that I didn't realize it was going to delete the old phone from CM, which makes perfect sense why it would.  The new phones are in boxes and haven't been deployed yet, so I had to go recreate the 7940s so users could use them until I get the new phones deployed.  Luckily I only did a small batch as a test, so it wasn't much work. 

Do you know if there's a way to migrate, while keeping the old phones, to be deleted manually at a later time?

Thanks!