cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single phone over Internet - switch to G729

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  I have a simple environment with a single site.  It's CUCM 10.5, built from a BE6K.  The voice gateway has a PRI in it to the PSTN. Phones are 8945s running SIP.  

Now we have one remote user that needs a home office phone.  It'll sit behind a site to site VPN router over the Internet, so the phone itself doesn't need to do the VPN.  But I would like to change it to G729 for best performance.  

What's the best way to do this for a single phone? Can I just change the phone or do I need a new location defined?  

Also I'm noticing the remote phone occasionally unregisters and registers.  It re-regsters fine, but I assume it's losing the heartbeat to CUCM.  This doesn't happen for onsite phones.  Is there some setting I should adjust?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Codec is only set by regions in CUCM, no way to set it at endpoint level.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi ,

beyond what Jaime Valencia said ... you not only need a new Region in CUCM to use the G729 for this specific Phone, but also to check the "flap connection" (unregistering and registering).

How many CUCMs the remote IP Phone is connected to?

Is there any SRST GW for the remote IP Phone?

You can make some adjustment in CUCM > System > Service Parameter > CCM > Station KeepAlive Interval (default is 30 sec.) to minimize the "flap connection", but I recommend you to check the cause of this problem before make any changes to this Service Parameter.

Hope this helps.

Oswaldo Torres
Level 1
Level 1

I have some users in this way, in Mexico, (we have low speed connections, like 512 kbps) and when we use G729 over Internet, sometimes the calls sound choppy when we have packets loss, but with G711 the call sounds good all time.

In my experiencie, G729 give us better performance but, any packet loss, affect the call.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: