cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP 7940 will not find config file

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

I am attempting to convert a bunch of old 7940s and 7960s from SCCP to SIP because the recording software we want to use does not support SCCP.  The 7940 I'm testing is running the following SIP firmware:
App Load ID:  POS3-07-5-00  (That's SIP 7.5 on Cisco's software site)
Boot Load ID:  PC030301

CUCM is version 12.0.1

Network status shows the CUCM Pub as the phone's TFTP server that it received from DHCP
When I browse to http://<IP of Pub>:6970/SIP<MAC>.cnf  I see the output of the config file (same if I add .xml to the end).  

The device has been built in the system as a 7940 with protocol set to SIP.  There is a line attached to the phone and it shows up in the cnf file if I browse to it.  

In the status on the phone I get the following:
E600 REG send failure:  REGISTER
E102 MISC Error:  No time server
W350 invalid proxy_backup
W351 invalid proxy_emergency
W310 8 Error(s) Parsing: SIPDefault.cnf
W220 TFTP Error:  Not Found SIP<MAC>.cnf

I have factory reset the phone but that did not change anything.  When the phone comes up, it looks like it has a line labeled AUTO-REG with a symbol of a phone with an X over it.  I have checked the CM Server settings and neither CUCM in the cluster has auto-registration turned on.  

3 Replies 3

If you've done a factory reset, I'm pretty sure the phone is now back at a SCCP-MFG firmware. If the auto-registration protocol on your CUCM is set to SIP, that would explain the AUTO-REG on the display. (The phone would look for a SCCP SEP<MAC>.cfg file which it wouldn't find and then look for the XMLDefault.cfg file.)

I did a good bit of research because this is an interesting problem, and ended up only slightly less in the dark than when I started. There are a significant number of caveats for these old phones with regards to firmware, the size of the OS79XX.TXT file, and signed versus unsigned loads among other things. The specific combination of these will influence what you need to do to fix your problem.

Here are two docs I found that describe these caveats and I hope they help you figure out next steps:

Converting a Cisco 7940/7960 CallManager Phone to a SIP Phone and the Reverse Process

Cisco 7940 and 7960 IP Phones Firmware Upgrade Matrix

It might be worthwhile to get the phone back in working order and registered to CUCM using SCCP firmware, and then convert to SIP.

I wish I could be of more specific help. Please let us know how this goes and if there are questions we can (hopefully next time) answer.

Maren

Thank you for the reply.  It's still on the SIP firmware, as it still displays SIP in the top right corner of the screen and the errors still list it as being unable to locate SIP<mac> rather than SEP<mac>.  

The linked doc is what I started working from (though I've had to find additional documentation because things vary wildly between firmware versions.  

Can you temporarily enable auto-registration with the auto-reg protocol set to SIP and only one DN in the pool and see if the phone will register?

Maren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: